Like Tree23Likes

TW/TM bike path - your views sought

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Hong Kong doesn't have the climate, the topography or the space for cycling - schemes like this are a waste of money.

it's a great place to ride if you like steep up hills and all - but for that you need to be fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    it's a great place to ride if you like steep up hills and all - but for that you need to be fit.
    If you ride trails, it's pretty common to hire a van for the day and do shuttle runs. No fitness needed.

Heat still sucks, though.

regular riders (ie the ones that ride several times a week somewhat competitively) don't use bike path but ride in Lantau, clearwater Bay, Saikung etc. so not really an issue.
    That is probably the less than 1%.

There is a wide array of cyclist in HK from popping for breakfast, commuting to work and being serious about it.
    FrancisX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    This seems to be a bit of an exclusionary bugbear of yours, you bring this up over and over again. You seem to want to discount the opinions of anyone who has left, regardless of how long they've lived here or what their family ties to Hong Kong are.

Yes, many posters have left. It's a thing that's been happening for decades, and has been accelerating for obvious reasons. This includes some of the most regular and useful contributors.

I would provide a counter-argument, that many of the more recent (Covid was the turning point) and prolific posters have very little to offer to the forum in the way of useful information or viewpoints, and instead seem to spend most of their time here trying to tear the place down, out of some kind of misplaced sense of frustration with the world. Many of the older posters were well known for getting into protracted arguments, but they also tended to try to add useful information or interesting viewpoints.

I honestly have no idea why someone (I think it was you again) would complain that someone like Hull posts information about incoming typhoons that sweep past the Philippines. Skyhook and BDW regularly post about life in Australia which serve as useful reminders of what other options exist for some of us. Titus on the odd occasion offers really inspiring post-relocation takes on backcountry British Columbia.

Take a step back and look at yourself. Go through your own post history. I have been through it, and honestly cannot say that I particularly value your presence here, because most of your participation is antagonistic and arrogant. Very little of it is what I could consider positive. I get into these nasty arguments as well, but at least I try to post useful information on HK about tech sourcing.
    =
    You are correct. It is a bug bear. But I am not discounting other's opinions. I am discounting others who no longer live here aggressively lecturing those who do.

If someone in the Philippines wants to post about the Philippines then fair enough, although as I and most others don't live in the Philippines I don't see the relevance. But if that same person for example declares that mask use has not declined in HK over the past few weeks based on no first-hand experience whatsoever, then they need to be corrected.

The comment by the Brit is a great example of this. Misguided, misinformed and completely unnecessary. What is it adding to the conversation?

And please don't lump all overseas posters together. Skyhook for example makes interesting posts and doesn't waste his time antagonising others in the way the Brit does.

But look, if you find it useful to have someone constantly complaining about HK even though they no longer live here, then good for you. For my part, I will continue to call it out.

And regarding what you think of my posting history, I am flattered that you took the time to check but I couldn't care less.

I confess I am not sure what value YOU bring to the forum as I have never come across your user name before. Hopefully it stays that way.
    Last edited by FrancisX; 06-10-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Hong Kong doesn't have the climate, the topography or the space for cycling - schemes like this are a waste of money.
    I did hear someone from the cycling team at the transport bureau suggest there were more bicycle owners than car owners on the New Territories East. But you could be right and all those people could be wrong.

The spread of the population in HK
    Hong Kong Island 17.5%
    Kowloon 30.3%
    New Territories 52.2%

I could go out right now and cycle 20k and never meet a hill, never mind a steep hill.

Do some of you ever get off the island?

Also, and not directed to you, there seem to be several self-declared "serious cyclists" on here who think that their experience is the only one that counts. Usual selfish and dismissive attitude to the majority of (mostly local) people who use and enjoy the cycle tracks daily.
    East_coast and calmathetic9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    I could go out right now and cycle 20k and never meet a hill, never mind a steep hill.

Do some of you ever get off the island?

Also, and not directed to you, there seem to be several self-declared "serious cyclists" on here who think that their experience is the only one that counts. Usual selfish and dismissive attitude to the majority of (mostly local) people who use and enjoy the cycle tracks daily.
    I live in Clearwater Bay so yes I do leave the island.
    I ride in Lantau - old beast, beast, sham wat etc - you should try, it's fantastic.

I ride in Lantau - old beast, beast, sham wat etc - you should try, it's fantastic.
    Yeah, the beast was a lot of fun. Really painful with suspension. It's totally overgrown and cracked up now, isn't it? I haven't been on it for over five years and it was in pretty bad shape even then.

The 'new' road was great to ride when totally empty, before it was opened up properly to traffic.

Thanks, but I'm okay.

I just hope all the people the new bike track is being built for are able to enjoy it for fun and exercise without worrying too much about the moaning bike bores (not you by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I did hear someone from the cycling team at the transport bureau suggest there were more bicycle owners than car owners on the New Territories East. But you could be right and all those people could be wrong.
    That's a fairly meaningless comparison. I've similarly read that there's an estimated 60M bikes in Australia, at the time this was 3x the entire population. In urban centres, bikes as transport or recreation is very low, so most of them are sitting rusting in garages or sheds.
    East_coast likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast