Like Tree41Likes

2022/23 - CE Policy Address

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The Government will cease new registration of fuel-propelled and hybrid private cars in 2035 or earlier.

In the coming three years, an additional 7 000 parking spaces with electric vehicle chargers will be provided in government premises.
    Does that mean an extension to the 1 for 1 EV scheme or similar, do you think?

I am not optimistic about the govt's ability to delivery even 10% of what John Lee is committing to - other than spending money and building some new stuff.
    and by the amount of infrastructure project he announced it will cause all of them to be delayed by several years (just like the last round with the central bypass and lohas bridge and High speed rail and shatin line etc.etc.etc) and severely inflated cost.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    Does that mean an extension to the 1 for 1 EV scheme or similar, do you think?
    Who knows? I think this will be declared in the budget.

2hrs:45mins later ... he's done.

I think as ndt points out .. some patriotic businesses are going to be very busy (if the 183 new committees do their jobs!). Lots of discrete wealth transfer policies put into play.

Gatts likes this.

I don't think this is going to work. The illusion is that the talent shortage is permanent. Temporary it surely is, judging what everyone can see in their Linkedin inbox. But that's because companies need warm bodies now while they're busy moving their offices and HQs elsewhere. I yet have to see someone who can make a credible claim that HK will continue to have an edge over Tokyo or Singapore or Seoul to manage an APAC business, or over Shanghai or Shenzhen when managing a China business.

Local workforce has shrunk by 140,000. Govt will proactively "trawl the world" for talent. 2 year top talent scheme - annual salary 2.5M in 2 years + 100 top uni with 3 years work experience - will get a pass to "explore opportunities". Grads from top 100 uni without work experience will be allowed in but limit of 10K per year.

So which uni graduates get paid 2.5M?
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaswells:
    I think elephant in the room was a phrase coined specifically to describe this speech.
    So true.
    HK will be: a bridge to China with China border closed, a tourist destination with restrictive covid regulations, an art centre with no freedom of expression, an aviation hub with no flights, an international investment centre with no rule of law, a part of GBA with no access to it…
    The term "gaslighting" also comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    So which uni graduates get paid 2.5M?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    There is something weird about most Asian talent schemes, on the one hand every Govt wants to dance on Inno/Tech buzzword and desperately trying to attract talent, waste time and resources to launch new schemes and at the same time their expections are either delusional or borderline xenophobic fearing low entry barriers would flood the country with foreigners..

For Thailand/Malaysia and other Asian contries, its at least understandable high entry barriers are driven largely by local politics but even HK? Now that its goverened only by Patriots with rubber stamp legislature and executive puppets, why such delusional requirement is beyond understanding.. Perhaps its just a show-off type stream to showcase premium requirement for premium city (and bit of dick waving to other SEA nations) and then second bit more lax scheme to lump most applications..

Hong Kong announces plans to ‘trawl the world for talents’

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/19/hong...ndroidappshare

Yes .. 2025 reclamation start. 3rd CBD.

https://www.policyaddress.gov.hk/2022/en/p72.html
    What a way to sink money. It's a really bad idea.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast