Like Tree34Likes

HK to rename parks?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Why stop there?

They are stupid enough to rename Hong Kong too.... "Xiangang Asia's world city." sounds so catching...

I can also see the whole world pronouncing that xiangang comfortably.... not... they would prefer to say Singapore, it is just easier to pronounce.

Infinitum is the number nails these idiots have, to stick into Hong Kong's coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, given that so many streets and public areas in HK are named after people with absolutely terrible colonial histories that included doing very shitty things to HK people. See for example the roles played by Pottinger and Johnston in the Opium Wars.

The key though will be to not replace these names with equally shitty Chinese counterparts and/or privileged tycoons.

In fact, maybe avoid names completely.
    A lot of African countries have dropped former colonial names for streets and cities. South Africa has alternative local names for Johannesburg (Egoli) and Pretoria (Tshwane).

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    A lot of African countries have dropped former colonial names for streets and cities. South Africa has alternative local names for Johannesburg (Egoli) and Pretoria (Tshwane).
    Was about to say the same. This (wasting tax money instead of fixing real problems) has been happening there for years. They recently changed the name of Port Elizabeth to Gqeberha! And no, there is no spelling mistake in that name.

wouldn't surprise me much if at some point they go ahead with that idea. Just erasing the past....

I had already commented once on radio when such suggestions came up that public will still relate to old names even if new names are given. In practical terms, for example, even if Kennedy Rd is renamed, most people including taxi drivers will know it as Kennedy Rd.
    I have seen in other countries where names have been changed and people still refer to landmarks by old names.
    I noticed in Mumbai, a place called King's Circle has been renamed. But everyone still calls it King's circle.

aw451 and tropic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 29Tjmy92:
    I had already commented once on radio when such suggestions came up that public will still relate to old names even if new names are given. In practical terms, for example, even if Kennedy Rd is renamed, most people including taxi drivers will know it as Kennedy Rd.
    I have seen in other countries where names have been changed and people still refer to landmarks by old names.
    I noticed in Mumbai, a place called King's Circle has been renamed. But everyone still calls it King's circle.
    Another example is the red / green minibuses. Half of them go to landmarks that were knocked down decades ago.

All changing names will do is confuse newcomers

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    May be they should first start with politicians giving up their made up western slave names... I mean Junious? John? Carrie? Donald? Jasper?
    Lol

Yes, the destination on one red minibus is Daimaru. Which used to be e Japanese department store in Causeway Bay (in the 1990s? )

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Try Gqeberha
    merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I actually think this sort of thing will happen, sooner or later there'll end up being a comprehensive program of Sinofication...
    Sinofication in China,of all places?

What madness LOL

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast