Like Tree34Likes

HK to rename parks?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

May be they should first start with politicians giving up their made up western slave names... I mean Junious? John? Carrie? Donald? Jasper?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    May be they should first start with politicians giving up their made up western slave names... I mean Junious? John? Carrie? Donald? Jasper?
    Cultural appropriation only works one way, it's the bloody westerners stealing everything! Wait I need to go to cafe de coral to grab some spaghetti. Oh wait
    MABinPengChau likes this.

I actually think this sort of thing will happen, sooner or later there'll end up being a comprehensive program of Sinofication...

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already, given that so many streets and public areas in HK are named after people with absolutely terrible colonial histories that included doing very shitty things to HK people. See for example the roles played by Pottinger and Johnston in the Opium Wars.

The key though will be to not replace these names with equally shitty Chinese counterparts and/or privileged tycoons.

In fact, maybe avoid names completely.

It's interesting that Ho felt that the naming of natural disasters is comparable to the naming of community areas / facilities

shri likes this.

Next up will be changing the side of the road that vehicles drive on. And then changing all road & street signs to simplified Chinese.

NO. Who is this stupid ho, this is the 2nd time I've seen him in news suggesting stupid stuff, the 1st was something to do w Covid. Stop dreaming up stupid shit for the gov to do so you can look relevant >.< The names are fine as it is.

If they must be fixed, don't waste time debating just follow the location eg Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park will be Eastern St Park or let's just fucking sell the naming rights like car license plates and make some money. AIA can get naming rights to a public park or feature and call it AIA park for (10yrs) for (Hk$20) million ;p

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    NO. Who is this stupid ho, this is the 2nd time I've seen him in news suggesting stupid stuff, the 1st was something to do w Covid. Stop dreaming up stupid shit for the gov to do so you can look relevant >.< The names are fine as it is.
    You must be new here. I did think you were a long term resident in HK, but I did question that assumption in the $500M villa thread.

Now this... Genius Ho is like the most important politician in HK.
    tommy1300, aw451 and alexdown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Now this... Genius Ho is like the most important politician in HK.
    Name:  IMG-20221109-WA0002.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  1.7 KB

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast