Phone Scams Continue...

Closed Thread

Phone Scams Continue...

This one does seem like it is not an advanced and discreet wealth transfer exercise and a retired nurse was effectively scammed out of her savings.

Sad that these old folks don't wander down to the bank or seek advice from just about anyone else they can think of.

No clue if the victim was passing the OTP to the scammers for these transactions or if they were given blank checks... how does one go about adding designated accounts and raising their default limits without OTP. And FFS why don't the banks check when multiple new accounts are added.

Surely... surely if the bank employees are not complicit, this is not an easy series of transactions.

A retired female nurse in her 70s was defrauded of 14 million of her life savings, including cash and stocks.
    In mid-September 2022, Fraudster II instructed the victim to transfer all her deposits from other banks to her HSBC account and asked the victim to provide her HSBC account login password to prove her innocence. In mid-September, the victim deposited HK$5.2 million into the HSBC bank account through the bank counter four times. Afterwards, at the further request of Fraudster II, the victim cashed all her shares in mid-October and deposited HK$8.8 million into the HSBC bank account.
    The victim later revealed the scam after telling her brother about the incident on November 2. The victim then called the police on November 3 for help. The victim was a retired female nurse, sources said.
    Preliminary investigation by the police revealed that the fraudsters deposited over HK$14 million of the female victim into 6 local bank accounts in 53 separate transfers from September 30 to October 26.
    https://std.stheadline.com/realtime/article/1885044/

Ummm not sure, i do think this is no different from one of those classic cases.. All possible wealth transfer markers ther, Retired nurse with 14 mil in cash and stocks, department of health calling public health violation, Money laundering charge in Mainland.. None of these bode well with someone transferring millions of dollars on stranger's request if that person was clean in the first place.. Did she go to Mainland, Did she have millions of dollars transactions in Mainland? If not, why would she fall for it..

The police said that they received a report from a 70-year-old woman on November 3, saying that they received a phone call from a scammer at home on September 1. The scammer claimed to be a staff of the Department of Health, claiming that the victim violated the "Public Health". and municipal regulations. The scammer claimed that someone would call the victim for further enquiries later. Later on the same day, another scammer called, alleging that she was involved in a money laundering case in the Mainland. The victim disclosed her personal information and financial background to Fraudster II at his request. The scammer 2 has since contacted the victim via WhatsApp.

Agree, lots of unanswered questions. The profile is slightly different - local person - from the usual 'recent immigrants' profile - they're more compliant with these mainland calls.

I never thought of it this way but now that you mention it! It is a v convenient excuse.. sneaky.

I ended up having a call with one (post office parcel getting confiscated by china customs bcos illegal content bs) and I only suspected something wasn't right after a full 30 min into the call. They are very gd. I know it's a syndicate of random ppl just reading from a script but it takes some talent to be good, no diff frm sales. They try and keep you on the phone so I said I needed to put down to go to a diff rm for the "video call", then I rang 999 (lol) and told the person who answered that I am on call w scammer right now, should I keep them on so they can trace my hp and the caller.. the officer was like.. no..wtf r u talkin abt.. 😅

This was post protest but the idea of police in my head still had 25% movie police.. 😭😳😩