Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By fougeres
  • 1 Post By Windmill65

Malaysia MM2H Alternatives

Closed Thread

Malaysia MM2H Alternatives

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience with Malaysian visa options and their immigration system?

I always thought that I could count on going there through their MM2H programme. I had presumed that it would stay the same with similar requirements as it was before its current avatar. I never thought they'd be that stupid to raise the threshold to Singapore levels. There's no way I can prove an income of US$10,000 a month, which is what they now require. Does anyone here have any experience of other options?

Last edited by shri; 03-12-2022 at 09:25 AM.
    emx, hullexile and TheDevil_666 like this.

I suggest you go for the Sarawak programme, (SMM2H) ,which is much less costly to set up and which for now allows successful applicants to also live in Peninsula Malaysia.

Contact a good agency (e.g. ARAMAS): https://aramaz.com.my/

I have successfully used them in Sarawak.

An application takes some time due to the requirements and local bureaucracy, for us from start to finish it was close to 12 months, but it could go faster now probably about 9 months. We had to contend with COVID issues which slowed down everything.

It's so much cheaper to live there than in HK, and there is no tax on remitted pension funds!!

IMHO: Sarawak is much more attractive than the Peninsula due to the much freer social norms, and relaxed interracial relationships.

TheDevil_666 and ndt like this.

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed.

Be aware though that Sarawak tightened the rules and requirements some months ago. The S-MM2H program could previously be entered using either a fixed deposit, or show proof of income. It has changed from "either-or" into "and-and": new applicants need to place a fixed deposit and have to show proof of income. What has also changed is the requirement to be in Sarawak for at least 30 days per year (used to be 15 days/year).

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill65:
    Be aware though that Sarawak tightened the rules and requirements some months ago. The S-MM2H program could previously be entered using either a fixed deposit, or show proof of income. It has changed from "either-or" into "and-and": new applicants need to place a fixed deposit and have to show proof of income. What has also changed is the requirement to be in Sarawak for at least 30 days per year (used to be 15 days/year).
    I did note that. I'd imagine one would have to be prepared that they could plug this loophole anytime. 30 days in Sarawak is already a deal breaker for me as far as staying in Malaysia under this programme is concerned. As anything in Asia, caveat emptor.