Like Tree66Likes

An end to outdoor masks?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    If you know anything about Asia, you would know that for many especially ladies, they want that translucent white skin and a hat and sunscreen are not enough. If you haven't seen the ladies WITH the hat, the glasses AND the mask, you are blind. If you've ever been to Vietnam, you would know that even before the pandemic, many, many people covered their faces with scarves, masks, hats etc... So yeah, many don't really care about wearing a mask and I imagine some laugh at foreigners for making such a fuss for a tiny piece of fabric. Then again, a good number often think that foreigners are a bit soft so this just reinforces that perception.
    Soft as in what? Questioning stupid gov forced policies?
    Flapster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Soft as in what? Questioning stupid gov forced policies?
    So easy to portray things one way or another... Often read on this board...Locals are little lemmings that follow government policy yet the same people walked on the streets to the tune of millions when it mattered to them. The mighty foreigners fighting against big bad government policies or complaining about a tiny piece of fabric on their nose which was already worn by many for years all over Asia for various reasons. So yeah some might wear it until they die simply because it's NBF deal to wear one. I have no issues if mandates are kept for people handling food and in public transport. I call that good hygiene...

So easy to portray things one way or another... Often read on this board...Locals are little lemmings that follow government policy yet the same people walked on the streets to the tune of millions when it mattered to them. The mighty foreigners fighting against big bad government policies or complaining about a tiny piece of fabric on their nose which was already worn by many for years all over Asia for various reasons. So yeah some might wear it until they die simply because it's NBF deal to wear one. I have no issues if mandates are kept for people handling food and in public transport. I call that good hygiene...
    You should try free diving in the waters of Hong Kong. Masks make up the majority of the underwater trash at the moment.
    Insomnia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    You should try free diving in the waters of Hong Kong. Masks make up the majority of the underwater trash at the moment.
    Majority? That's one view, I see plastic as a bigger problem but yes, the overuse of one time mask adds to the littering. I'm not going to say that the outdoor mask mandate is good policy, it's stupid but it's way down the list of things that bothered me in Hong Kong and I certainly wouldn't be trying to ridicule those who wear masks. As I said, it's nothing new in the region and I don't know if that person has some kind of immune problem or other underlying cause. There are reusable, washable ones. I have virtually never worn the cheap throwaway surgical ones.
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    They litter or village stream, outnumbering the fish and this is despite a rubbish depot just meters away.

Measured by deaths per million HK hasn't fared well, and if masks worked against the current strains there wouldn't be 14k cases a day now. They served their purpose early on but its well past time to move on...

Hygiene for kitchen staff is another issue entirely.
    Crankshaft likes this.

Post deleted

As a British man living here for nearly 20 years, I've heard countless expats complaining about HK policies, especially during Covid and yet they still reside here. If you can't stand it so much, leave. More space for me.

qhank likes this.

If there is one place where wearing masks is not stupid, it's in public transport. Anyway, live and let live, what I find more annoying is those thinking themselves wiser for the choices they make. Plenty of good reasons to wear masks outside from keeping the sun off your face, to being anonymous, to slightly reducing the amount of pollution that goes into your lungs. Some expats may laugh at locals wearing masks outdoors, some locals also have a good laugh at expats looking like crispy pork or char siu on the beach.
    Good God, is this person being serious?

"ooh sun looks hot today, I should really wear a mask" said no-one, ever.
    Crankshaft and Insomnia like this.

If you know anything about Asia, you would know that for many especially ladies, they want that translucent white skin and a hat and sunscreen are not enough. If you haven't seen the ladies WITH the hat, the glasses AND the mask, you are blind. If you've ever been to Vietnam, you would know that even before the pandemic, many, many people covered their faces with scarves, masks, hats etc... So yeah, many don't really care about wearing a mask and I imagine some laugh at foreigners for making such a fuss for a tiny piece of fabric. Then again, a good number often think that foreigners are a bit soft so this just reinforces that perception.
    Okay, I see now it was a joke. Had me for a few seconds. I was thinking nobody could possibly be this dumb.
    Insomnia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    As a British man living here for nearly 20 years, I've heard countless expats complaining about HK policies, especially during Covid and yet they still reside here. If you can't stand it so much, leave. More space for me.
    I'd be more worried about a person who has lived in any place for 20 years and doesn't complain about government policies. It must be bliss to be empty and indifferent.
    Mrs. Jones and HK_Katherine like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast