Like Tree123Likes

Who is returning to HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 1

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    You seem to forget that locals the covid controls have nothing to do with the exodus but the crackdowns in 2019 and China ending 1C2S in 2020 is what makes them choose to immigrate, this hasn't stopped at all, and this huge shift is something which has not happened in prior decades.
    It did pre-1997. Who knows what will happen then.. but when money talks, they will be able to fill the spots.. from asia, from mainland, etc.etc. Nothing we need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    It did pre-1997. Who knows what will happen then.. but when money talks, they will be able to fill the spots.. from asia, from mainland, etc.etc. Nothing we need to worry about.
    I think the difference is then was fear of what might happen but now is worry about what has already happened.
    alexdown and mrgoodkat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcrown:
    i know four of my friends are returning to HK from the UK these few months. anyone knows of people returning?
    I have had some friends come back for visits, seeing family who remain, etc. None have come back yet to live, and in fact several more are in the process of leaving - both locals and expats.
    William06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Very strange and uninformed answer. Seems you haven't been in HK the past 4 years, nor ever ever talked to a local. In 1997 there were some fears that caused a certain amount of people to leave, but nothing did happen immediately. In 2020 those fears turned to concrete reality with China basically unilaterally ended 1C2S and rule of law that caused a still ongoing wave of arrests of innocent people, with reverberations felt throughout the whole of HK society. Especially parents don't want to subject their kids to the now mandatory "patriotic" education, and people get randomly thrown in jail ranging from sharing facebook posts or writing innocent childrens' books. A whole class of the new security apparatus now act basically without any confines of the law.

To say "nothing we need to worry about" is thus demonstratively false, as anyone here was a victim to a CCP-forced isolation of HK, which a mere decade ago would simply have not been the case in HK, as it still had autonomy. Inform yourself.

Where are these in-demand expat jobs in HK that people are talking about? I'm currently based in HK; got about 2 decades of exp in tech (focused on web3 hands-on atm), former tech lead/CTO type. Any good executive recruiting firms in HK anyone can suggest I reach out to?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcrown:
    i know four of my friends are returning to HK from the UK these few months. anyone knows of people returning?
    A few fellow expat and local friends have left for U.K.
    The expats were simply returning home, so no issues, but a few of the local HK guys have returned.

They found everything about the U.K. quite depressing and returned to HK when money started to run out after 10 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis:
    Where are these in-demand expat jobs in HK that people are talking about? I'm currently based in HK; got about 2 decades of exp in tech (focused on web3 hands-on atm), former tech lead/CTO type. Any good executive recruiting firms in HK anyone can suggest I reach out to?
    Whats your expected package lol

at least $500k usd for sure plus bonus + equity package...unless you are telling me HK is so desperate for expats and so much demand, but the pay is $100k usd lol; here lies the real answer then!

No one I know is coming back, in fact I have more farewells this week...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Very strange and uninformed answer. Seems you haven't been in HK the past 4 years, nor ever ever talked to a local. In 1997 there were some fears that caused a certain amount of people to leave, but nothing did happen immediately. In 2020 those fears turned to concrete reality with China basically unilaterally ended 1C2S and rule of law that caused a still ongoing wave of arrests of innocent people, with reverberations felt throughout the whole of HK society. Especially parents don't want to subject their kids to the now mandatory "patriotic" education, and people get randomly thrown in jail ranging from sharing facebook posts or writing innocent childrens' books. A whole class of the new security apparatus now act basically without any confines of the law.

To say "nothing we need to worry about" is thus demonstratively false, as anyone here was a victim to a CCP-forced isolation of HK, which a mere decade ago would simply have not been the case in HK, as it still had autonomy. Inform yourself.
    You look at situation with your set of glasses, i look at it with my set.
    There are, according to online notice of census i just ran, around 1.4m foreigners in China. I am sure many are from Taiwan. And I didn't see most of them running out of China because of fear of being arrested, if they are just doing their job with little intention to be falungong activism.

Many of the HKers leaving this round are those that would otherwise not have a chance to get a foreign passport if not of the BNO route, or whichever other shortcut. Obviously each individual is different, but i am sure there will be enough of them that also harbour the thoughts of coming back here to work once their PR/Residency in those countries are sorted out. Considering that most have parents/relatives/friends that are staying, and many can barely speak English.

Look around the xBC HKers, those with a 2nd passport (canada, uk real passport, aussie), and tell me how many of them actually left due to NSL ?! Yes I knew of 1 or 2 that left because of kids studying or covid lockdown, but I have not heard anyone leaving because NSL made their life miserable. They were here to make money.. good banking/law jobs.. etc.

And yes, the guys my company recently been hiring are from multi nationals.. many senior guys find it a safer environment, higher pay, low tax, etc.etc.. so its not very different from what happened in the past for their considerations..

Its something the locals might want to be worried about if they are used to the 'grey' area they can get away with, but i don't see why as foreigner we would be especially if we have no interest on politics or activitism.
    Insomnia and DonDiego like this.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast