Like Tree74Likes

Who is returning to HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 1

Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    576

    Oops double post. But good point, difficult to beat living at 'home', your own culture and things are stacked generally in your favour.


  2. #62

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    You don't walk around London. You walk in certain areas. I'm sure many Hong Kongers have in their naivete moved to some areas with near-by council estates run by gangs and drug dealing.
    That sort of describes many areas of London. You can live in a 'nice' area, but right next door is another area full of poverty, crime, and violence which spills over, if you will.

    Also, for women, the experience can be very different. Walking alone at night is really not a wise choice in many areas.
    "I'm sure..." = Making it up as I go along.
    FrancisX, TheBrit and alexdown like this.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Beautiful Britain
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    You don't walk around London. You walk in certain areas. I'm sure many Hong Kongers have in their naivete moved to some areas with near-by council estates run by gangs and drug dealing.
    That sort of describes many areas of London. You can live in a 'nice' area, but right next door is another area full of poverty, crime, and violence which spills over, if you will.

    Also, for women, the experience can be very different. Walking alone at night is really not a wise choice in many areas.
    Of course. I have no reason to go to a council estate in London. I was responding to a generalisation of London being ridden with crime. London is a big place. If you go to certain areas they may be ridden with crime but the majority isn't.

    Anyway, lots of Hongkongers are settling all over the UK. I have met many here in Milton Keynes. They are generally buying nice good sized houses in nice middle class estates.
    hongkongmusic likes this.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    "I'm sure..." = Making it up as I go along.
    Plenty of my colleagues have moved to cities they've never visited. Many also have a very distorted view of British society. But I wish them luck.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    A local HK friend left last year as she feared the worst with the HK government. She moved to England and came back 3 months later stating it was too cold.
    Yesterday it was -4C in London. I celebrated by going A over T on the ice. Some of you might freak at the electricity bills coming in the last month.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    Yesterday it was -4C in London. I celebrated by going A over T on the ice. Some of you might freak at the electricity bills coming in the last month.
    My brother lives on the east coast and with that wind factor, it's certainly not pleasant.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    28,022
    Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    My brother lives on the east coast and with that wind factor, it's certainly not pleasant.
    The wind chill is still there in summer! Took the family for a dip in the North Sea once, they got as far as their ankles. Philippine Sea 32 degrees, North Sea 3.2 degrees.

    The girls in Hull will be wearing all but nothing though on a night out.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    You don't walk around London. You walk in certain areas. I'm sure many Hong Kongers have in their naivete moved to some areas with near-by council estates run by gangs and drug dealing.
    That sort of describes many areas of London. You can live in a 'nice' area, but right next door is another area full of poverty, crime, and violence which spills over, if you will.

    Also, for women, the experience can be very different. Walking alone at night is really not a wise choice in many areas.
    You sound like you are scared of your own shadow.

    Other less fearful types will be less worried about a "filthy crime ridden and racist to the core city" and instead appreciate the opportunity of living in one of the most cosmopolitan, culturally-rich cities in the world.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7