Like Tree2Likes

1991-2021 - Demographic Trends

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1991-2021 - Demographic Trends

Classic brain drain, there should be productivity or value addition to society/economy type factor to multiply with actual number of people left to indicate overall impact on society, My random guess is 2 so impact on society is 200k left (not sure whats latest number on people leaving/left)..

And to make things worse,

The median age of Hongkongers has risen from 31.6 in 1991 to 46.3 in 2021.

there was an obvious declining trend in the city's fertility, with the rate dropping from 1,281 live births per 1,000 woman in 1991 to 772 in 2021.

The median age at first marriage was 32.2 for bridegrooms and 30.6 for brides in 2021, marking an increase of 3.1 and 4.4 respectively comparing with the figures logged in 1991.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...at-7.41m:-data
    Last edited by ndt; 30-12-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    The misery doesnt end there, its all teacher's fault after all.. Insanity galore

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...rity-education
    Do international schools have this topic? I don't think they do? That's probably why applying to international schools is so competitive right now :S

Classic brain drain, there should be productivity or value addition to society/economy type factor to multiply with actual number of people left to indicate overall impact on society, My random guess is 2 so impact on society is 200k left (not sure whats latest number on people leaving/left)..

And to make things worse,

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...at-7.41m:-data

Don't worry, once the borders open and HK/CN loosens residency visas for mainland, you will have 1.3B people who want to get out of CN just to have a "better life" in HK. I'm sure we will have enough people to cover the brain drain.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Don't worry, once the borders open and HK/CN loosens residency visas for mainland, you will have 1.3B people who want to get out of CN just to have a "better life" in HK. I'm sure we will have enough people to cover the brain drain.
    Also don't worry, once the borders open and, you will have many Hong Kongers want to go to GBA too

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Wait a second, the border from China to Hong Kong has been open since 2021. It's only travel from Hong Kong to China that's still restricted. So what were they waiting for?

This hardly seems out of context for a rich developed economy? I just checked Italy via google and its median age is 47, I'm sure many others are as high or higher

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    This hardly seems out of context for a rich developed economy? I just checked Italy via google and its median age is 47, I'm sure many others are as high or higher
    What was it in '91?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Poor choice of comparison.

Italy has always been a country of emigrants who often return in their old age. There are quite a few tax incentives for retirees, especially in the South. High brain drain too, rigid bureaucracy, poor business environment, legal process is slow and sloppy, mismanagement all over…

Is that the HK model?

Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    Wait a second, the border from China to Hong Kong has been open since 2021. It's only travel from Hong Kong to China that's still restricted. So what were they waiting for?
    They had 7-14 days quarantine in mainland on their return. That’s why they weren’t coming.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    They had 7-14 days quarantine in mainland on their return. That’s why they weren’t coming.
    And the Shenzhen quota was only increased to 2000 in Dec... Return quota + quarantine would have regulated the arrival rate.

Those who wish to travel to Shenzhen have to secure a quota of the city's centralized quarantine facilities before crossing the border.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ion/11/248087/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast