Like Tree21Likes

Indian Passport/Visa services at BLS International "Services"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Indian Passport/Visa services at BLS International "Services"

Surely, I cannot have been the only one who showed up for an appointment at BLS International Services Limited, "Consulate General of India's external application service centre for consular, visa and passport services" on Morrison Hill Road, Wan Chai, in the last couple of days (Jan 3, 4), only to find a printed-out notice on an A4 sheet on the locked door brusquely informing you that they have moved to North Point!

I did search my mailbox and the messages on my phone to check if I'd missed anything they might have sent out informing us of the change. I know for sure that neither the website when I filled out the application form a couple of weeks back, nor the unfailingly rude, hostile and obstructionist staff had anything to say about the move.

I was amazed at how there was only the usual levels of aggravation - been there more than once for the same job, and hence know the default vibe - at their new digs (credit where it is due: more spacious, less claustrophobic; but dusty old carpet, same rickety benches, cartons everywhere, the odd exposed wire) when I got there. I find myself wondering if I am the only one naïve enough to have trusted the Indian Consulate's chosen agency to not have moved out without informing people they had given appointments to!

Hah ... welcome to the club of Indians and non-Indians who have had the misfortune of dealing with BLS.

Getting to their premises is just the start of what is (but hopefully not...) going to be a very long journey.

Have in the past been turned back because "signature does not match" despite me being the person presenting the documents with my ID and passport. Have also had to redo various forms, because it takes an advanced degree (which presumably modern Indians have) in bureaucracy...

Its a fucking nightmare ... and the Indian consulate is the same.

the unfailingly rude, hostile and obstructionist staff
    That is much nicer than what I publically call them behind their backs after the work is done.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

The consulate sent this out

Name:  BLS move.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  458.9 KB

The Consulate sent it out to where? To who?
    I checked afterwards to see if I'd missed anything, and didn't see any in my mailbox. And neither did I get any "individual mail" from them.

And when I went there, there were at least four other parties - Indians and non-Indians - who seemed as confused as I was.

Most people who had appointments for Jan 3 and 4 would have booked them well before Dec. 30 (date on the notice), and would have had no reason at all to check back, having already received their confirmation mails.

Last edited by GuitarNut; 05-01-2023 at 12:21 PM. Reason: (additional detail; minor typo)
    tura likes this.

Crickey, I hope it isn't going to be too long! This ought to be a fairly straightforward process, but for the obstructionist mindset!
    And signature mismatches are an absolute nightmare, mate... My sympathies!

It was far simpler to get my initial passport back in India than this.

And, it's not just me: I saw the same woman at the counter bounce five other people at least in the time (90 minutes past my appointment slot) that I was there. They also seem to be pushing their "value added services" (long queue, naturally!) to rectify even minor errors.

This BLS is absolute rubbish, the Indian consulate when it did the passport/visa work were much better. I went there 3 years ago to renew my passport and I still remember it with a shudder. The MEA should kick these guys out, horrible bunch.

shri, tura and GuitarNut like this.

Wow, I registered just to rant about that after Google pointed me to this thread. Starting from Quarry Bay, I took a taxi to the Wan Chai address and finding they had moved I had to take another taxi back to North Point. I waited over an hour before my number was called and the woman at this counter rejected my application on trivial grounds and said I'd have to redo the whole process yet again. So that's yet another day wasted for a basic consular service: I've already spent two days on this and will have to do one more at least.
    I spoke to three other people in the lift whose applications were rejected and they all said they didn't know what they did wrong and felt that they were all rejected for arbitrary and whimsical reasons despite carrying all documents listed on the website.

GuitarNut and HK_Katherine like this.

Just a ploy to make more money on the value added services....they point out errors in perfect applications as well...just so you use their VAS and pay around HKD 150 to redo the application....or if not .. they will at least make you take extra printouts for no reason.
    I'm sure its far better to make or renew passport in India!

Quote Originally Posted by TakerofMickeys:
    Wow, I registered just to rant about that after Google pointed me to this thread. Starting from Quarry Bay, I took a taxi to the Wan Chai address and finding they had moved I had to take another taxi back to North Point. I waited over an hour before my number was called and the woman at this counter rejected my application on trivial grounds and said I'd have to redo the whole process yet again. So that's yet another day wasted for a basic consular service: I've already spent two days on this and will have to do one more at least.
    I spoke to three other people in the lift whose applications were rejected and they all said they didn't know what they did wrong and felt that they were all rejected for arbitrary and whimsical reasons despite carrying all documents listed on the website.
    TakerofMickeys, shri and GuitarNut like this.

If your passport work isn't urgent, the best way to avoid BLS is to get work done at the Passport Seva Kendra while on a trip to India. Efficient, and at a fraction of the cost you'd pay in Hong Kong, even if done under Tatkaal.

Just discovered - BLS is a publicly listed company in India and ranks itself in the distinguished category of being a unicorn!

TakerofMickeys and GuitarNut like this.

Thank you. That is actually an interesting option. But would they issue one with a HK address? I don't have any proof of residence in India anymore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast