Like Tree3Likes

Doctors Charged: Manslaughter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    an interesting case.

The Medical Council allows the two doctors to continue to work as doctors (as they received suspended sentence). The Hospital Authority allows them to continue to work as doctors.

It would be interesting to see what the prosecution has to say as to why they are "grossly negligent".
    How negligent of the medical authorities and experts in general to allow such negligence

Quote Originally Posted by woodwood:
    but surely a Hospital Authority built (or access to subscription to a) database / software / encyclopaedia / etc ought to exist!
    They have access to all the needed journals

Why should HA spend money to build and maintain a medical encyclopaedia when there is Google?

How negligent of the medical authorities and experts in general to allow such negligence
    The more I read about this case, the more puzzling this is appearing to me.

The two alleged doctors were working at the United Christian Hospital at the time. The head of that hospital was promoted to be the Deputy Secretary for Health a few months after the incident.
    Last edited by nivek2046; 14-01-2023 at 08:23 PM.

This lomo >.<

Yesterday in SCMP - Hong Kong health secretary ‘disheartened’ by doctors’ arrests and concerned about feelings of frontline staff https://archive.is/NVqIZ
    Today
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...ecision-making

he understands that mistakes happen...but sidestepped the question on the doctors’ criminal liability. On another note, Lo said the DoH has instructed..not to sell over 60 tablets.. paracetamol to a customer at once....consuming too much ..could lead to liver dysfunction .. Therefore, 60 tablets will be enough for a patient, Lo noted
    Calm down.. calm down and paracetamol your own head 😖

It is extremely unusual to charge doctors for manslaughter for medical errors. I wonder who have the go ahead.

I give credit to the doctors for not giving me a bullshit answer, ignoring my question, downplaying, etc, but surely a Hospital Authority built (or access to subscription to a) database / software / encyclopaedia / etc ought to exist!
    Why reinvent the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    It is extremely unusual to charge doctors for manslaughter for medical errors. I wonder who have the go ahead.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16738374/

It was non-existent for human error. This is a huge change in policy and silence from the executive branch of government. Can't see HK attracting any international talent with a policy like this in place.

Cases for clear pre-determined malpractice and deliberately doing very dodgy cosmetic procedures .

omnipresent
    abundant
    frequent
    common
    occasional
    uncommon
    sporadic
    rare
    unique
    nonexistent

I wonder who have the go ahead.
    I doubt the police are the ones driving this..

How does this work.. prosecutions dept or sumthing must approve and okay this.. so highest go-ahead would be this fella? I can't see BJ having anything to do w this one.. :x

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...of-prosecution

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Why reinvent the wheel?
    1. HA database gives an official direction, pool of information which doctors can feel confident to rely on.

2. HA databases need not be HA generated. Most likely the software would be a re-branded shell that provides access to the medical databases that already exist (your ‘wheel’.) Research journals, libraries, etc require very expensive subscriptions that doctors are not going to be able to access as a random Googler.
    nivek2046 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3