Like Tree3Likes

Doctors Charged: Manslaughter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Doctors Charged: Manslaughter

Does anyone have details about what (is alleged to have) happened?

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1683386-20230111.htm

Angry

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...r-over-blunder

Alex Lam of the patients' group was surprised by the arrests. He said: "From what I remember no public hospital doctors have been criminally charged with manslaughter over a medical blunder or negligence. I hope the legal procedure can do the deceased justice."But he is worried the prosecution will lead to more pressure on doctors and lead them to conservative treatment.
    "Doctors need to see a lot of patients within a very short time," Lam said. "Maybe dozens every day, and each patient may have over a thousand pages of medical records.
    "It's very difficult to completely understand their medical history in just one or even two to three consultations."
    He said public doctors may switch to private practice for higher pay and to avoid risks.
    Honestly, I don't understand if this guy is on the patient's side or on the other side I read that he is HK Patients' voices chairman
    Is it ok for public doctors to messed up? Private practice doctors do not have risks? what a BS FFS
    sorry, rant's over
    woodwood likes this.

Doesn't manslaughter require intend to harm?

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Doesn't manslaughter require intend to harm?
    There should definitely be a hurdle for criminal intent. Otherwise, it would just be negligence and taken a civil trial.

The only way this makes sense is if doctors are more afraid of getting their pants sued off vs sitting in jail.

Wondering same thing.. and how they decided (I'm guessing) the course of action taken by docs here is so reckless bcos near certainty of death that it is same as intentionally killing patients..

Of course we need more details, but I doubt this is a good story that is keeping HK doctors in town.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ent's-case

The doctors already pleaded guilty to medical misconduct in 2021.

This Alex Lam tool >.<

"each patient may have over a thousand pages of medical records.. It's very difficult to completely understand their medical history in just one or even two to three consultations.. The Hospital Authority should look into ways to strike a balance between patient rights and preventing medical blunders"

Over a thousand pages.. really.. Is he trying to knife HA in the back..

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    This Alex Lam tool
    Where did you find that quote?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast