Like Tree22Likes

No More Home Quarantine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Look how people need to be told not to travel in a typhoon.
    I'm sure they will still recommend that those who have Covid stay at home, but it doesn't need to be a legal requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwood:
    There’s the expectation to take flu/cold medication and show up to work.
    In Hong Kong, really? I know this is a problem in the UK, but HKers are usually pretty good at having consideration for colleagues if they're coughing everywhere... I'd say it's much less socially acceptable to go to work when you're sick here.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I'm sure they will still recommend that those who have Covid stay at home, but it doesn't need to be a legal requirement.
    In Hong Kong, really? I know this is a problem in the UK, but HKers are usually pretty good at having consideration for colleagues if they're coughing everywhere... I'd say it's much less socially acceptable to go to work when you're sick here.
    This is the complete opposite of reality. I have suggested many times that there is no need to mandate the whole city shuts down for typhoons, and that individuals are perfectly capable of making their own judgements on the risks of their personal travel arrangements.

One of the biggest (and actually valid) pushbacks was that unscrupulous employers would take advantage if the current system was abolished and pressure employees to show up to work in a T8/T10 even if it was unsafe. Same nonsense with the requirement for Doctor issused sick notes if you've got a cold/cough and should stay home and rest.... but most HK employers require you to trudge to a clinic and get a sick note..... utterly pointless..... so many simply show up to work, sick.

Simply doesn't happen in the UK as requiring a medical note for short term sickness isn't a requirement.
    woodwood likes this.

There’s the expectation to take flu/cold medication and show up to work.
    Yes!! Thats how it should be! At least in the good old days in Australia. Only pussies stay home or go see a doctor when they are sick.

https://youtu.be/cD_rIQ6eu3A
    qhank and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    This is the complete opposite of reality. I have suggested many times that there is no need to mandate the whole city shuts down for typhoons, and that individuals are perfectly capable of making their own judgements on the risks of their personal travel arrangements.

One of the biggest (and actually valid) pushbacks was that unscrupulous employers would take advantage if the current system was abolished and pressure employees to show up to work in a T8/T10 even if it was unsafe. Same nonsense with the requirement for Doctor issused sick notes if you've got a cold/cough and should stay home and rest.... but most HK employers require you to trudge to a clinic and get a sick note..... utterly pointless..... so many simply show up to work, sick.

Simply doesn't happen in the UK as requiring a medical note for short term sickness isn't a requirement.
    My experiences of HK is obviously limited to more multinational style offices where people don't come to work with a cough or cold. In London however (same type of companies, same industries) you'd be thought a skiver if you didn't go to work because you had a cough. I always thought it was due to the experience with SARS here.

I'm a parent and I really don't mind the RAT requirement, if it keeps a few more sick children home from school. It's so annoying to have young children who are constantly sick, so spreading it less can only be a good thing?

But what I can't stand with the pandemic rules in schools is masks. They're utterly useless for young children so all they are doing is damage.
    But kids getting sick all the time is pretty much the point of being a kid. They build up immunity to all sorts of bugs this way while they are young and strong. Pretty sure the reason we had kids dying from covid was because their immune systems had not been exposed to anything and they had zero immunity (even a common cold may give you some immunity against dying from covid because of the similarity in some viruses). I personally think that our immunity debt in HK is going to cause all sorts of issues in the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    But kids getting sick all the time is pretty much the point of being a kid. They build up immunity to all sorts of bugs this way while they are young and strong. Pretty sure the reason we had kids dying from covid was because their immune systems had not been exposed to anything and they had zero immunity (even a common cold may give you some immunity against dying from covid because of the similarity in some viruses). I personally think that our immunity debt in HK is going to cause all sorts of issues in the next couple of years.
    I know this has been often talked about, but my 4 yo had constant colds here during Covid, there was no immunity debt building in his school! At one point in autumn 2021 there were only 4 of his class of 20 in school as they were all down with colds, flu etc... But maybe we're a demographic that didn't hide their kids away.

I'd rather his first exposure to nastier bugs than colds (such as Covid and flu) was through vaccination, and thankfully it was.
    qhank, HK_Katherine, shri and 1 others like this.

But maybe we're a demographic that didn't hide their kids away.
    I think you cracked it!
    Beanieskis likes this.

I know this has been often talked about, but my 4 yo had constant colds here during Covid, there was no immunity debt building in his school! At one point in autumn 2021 there were only 4 of his class of 20 in school as they were all down with colds, flu etc... But maybe we're a demographic that didn't hide their kids away.

I'd rather his first exposure to nastier bugs than colds (such as Covid and flu) was through vaccination, and thankfully it was.
    Seems a bit contradictory and perhaps your tune would be different had it been covid that left only 4 kids at school.

Seems a bit contradictory and perhaps your tune would be different had it been covid that left only 4 kids at school.
    Why is it contradictory?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast