Like Tree19Likes

Emptied out ATMs across HK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

In Australia it's because the government and the big 4 banks are working together to take the option of legal tender away from the people. Disgusting...

Quote Originally Posted by GatsbyOG:
    In Australia it's because the government and the big 4 banks are working together to take the option of legal tender away from the people. Disgusting...
    Did you draw out some cash today?

https://www.news.com.au/finance/mone...c115a914d9d847
    Hkemail888 likes this.

taxi's are really the only place I still use cash in HK...everywhere else it's electronic for me. i've even gone native and am using alipay like a charge card to pay for a lot of stuff in shops - I transfer money (free of charge) to alipay and then spend. It helps me keep track of my spending.

I always carry cash because we often have system crashes that mean nobody can pay electronically

Japan, which is every HKers favourite destination is pretty cash heavy still

shri and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Japan, which is every HKers favourite destination is pretty cash heavy still
    I would say it's a lot less cash intensive than Hong Kong. I spent a week in Nagano in January and didn't need to use any cash at all. All the taxis were equipped with POS machines, unlike HK. Of course they were much more expensive but that's always been the case.
    Morrison likes this.

I heard that in SZ, shops were showing signs that said... 'cash payment by HKD, 1HKD = 1CNY'... attracting the hk clients that doesn't really want to use Alipay or Wechat pay.. and i guess there are some forms of usage behind on those cash ?

shri and Eva C like this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I heard that in SZ, shops were showing signs that said... 'cash payment by HKD, 1HKD = 1CNY'... attracting the hk clients that doesn't really want to use Alipay or Wechat pay.. and i guess there are some forms of usage behind on those cash ?
    Unreported income?

Quote Originally Posted by GatsbyOG:
    I always carry cash because we often have system crashes that mean nobody can pay electronically
    Don't think I've ever experienced this during my time in HK. I still don't leave home without some cash though, just in case.
    newhkpr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I regularly see younger folks scroll through 50 different cards in their wallets.
    Some folks in the best credit card thread here seem to have 50 cards as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast