Like Tree37Likes

Snitchers to get $3000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Being cynical, this could be a clever move. Get people used to snitching to the government for a reward on a topic most people agree on then extend it to people saying unpatriotic things.
    I have seen some poster offering 100K for snitching on "terrorists".
    shafiq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    I have seen some poster offering 100K for snitching on "terrorists".
    this is whistleblowing. it's legit LOL
    Sith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobly:
    this is whistleblowing. it's legit LOL
    Whistleblowing is a rather technical issue ... crime reporting is not. Being rewarded for reporting crime and leading to successful prosecution for those crimes is another issue.

Meanwhile .. $3000? Peanuts... start your true crime podcasts and make a shitload more.

https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/06_...orn/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Whistleblowing is a rather technical issue ... crime reporting is not. Being rewarded for reporting crime and leading to successful prosecution for those crimes is another issue.

Meanwhile .. $3000? Peanuts... start your true crime podcasts and make a shitload more.

https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/06_...orn/index.html
    i should have put /s instead of LOL
    Sith likes this.

Great.

Living in Public Housing and owning a high end vehicle = scum of the earth.

Crankshaft likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    Great.

Living in Public Housing and owning a high end vehicle = scum of the earth.
    Essentially it is stealing from the poorest section of the population so even though some may want to portray it as a victimless crime against the government, it is not and is indeed very very low.
    hongkongmusic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Essentially it is stealing from the poorest section of the population so even though some may want to portray it as a victimless crime against the government, it is not and is indeed very very low.
    I agree. Are there rules on income and or wealth once you are in public housing?

This will neighbour reporting on others.
    Housewife Mrs Chan with nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I agree. Are there rules on income and or wealth once you are in public housing?
    This is Hong Kong, there are tons of rules... For example...A couple divorce? They are no longer entitled to the same unit if only one lives in it. Not uncommon for people to hide their assets with relatives here and/or overseas.

Here's a table with both income and assets limit:
    https://www.housingauthority.gov.hk/...its/index.html
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    as I recall the last one they caught was found to have 2 residential and a commercial property in Gz, keeping HK needy on the waiting list for years.
    Probably a rich bastard, but, just as an eye opener…

There are some who inherited GD property and are simply not able to offload it because of local regulations / disputes between relatives / unclear deed.

One of the “uncles” I see often had been trying to sell his flat which was actually a product of inheritance and two redevelopments. First from a house to an apartment building and then to a much taller apartment building on top of shops.

Long story short, it got very messy and with many unofficial modifications done (actual flat sizes different from paper sizes), it took ages to get it sold.

Whatever the deal was, the uncle really wanted the cash (to give to his kids to put a down payment in HK). He lives a modest life as a semi-retired tradesman (working odd jobs now and then) in a public flat. Over the years he did get something like ¥6000 in monthly rental (at the highest) before expenses.

He may have technically broken the rules, but he certainly was not laughing all the way to the bank as @aw451 ‘s landlord is (for now, until @aw451 cashes in).
    Last edited by mtkl; 02-04-2024 at 11:04 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast