Like Tree58Likes

HK vs SIngapore: Why is HK so much behind in everything?

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    4,912

    How strong are the incentives to improve the people’s welfare versus the incentives to improve control over the people?

    I believe even the ones who see themselves as hyper-rationalists would find it hard to disagree with this one.


  2. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    香港特别行政区
    Posts
    2,983
    Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    Sorry, my bad. I shouldn't have said what I have said.

    But still, you haven't answered my question.
    The real answer is do we compare the GDP of Liverpool, Boulder or Hyderabad to that of countries?

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,174

    If you are in a same-sex relationship and are married overseas, HK will recognise your spouse as a dependent. Singapore does not at all.



    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    1) Can you think of any laws in the last 20 years that have made Hong Kong more of an open for business international city.

    2) Can you think of any capital investment in the last 20 years that have made Hong Kong more of effective and efficient international city.

  4. #24

    I hate Singapore's climate, which is like a wet sauna 24/7/365. There are no places for hiking, no mountains, no decent beaches; basically, it's like hiking through shopping malls. However, street food and food courts are much better than in Hong Kong...

    newhkpr, drumbrake and muzzdang like this.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    1) Can you think of any laws in the last 20 years that have made Hong Kong more of an open for business international city.
    Taking the duty off wine very successfuly turned HK into a global centre for the wine trade.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    23,749
    Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    Taking the duty off wine very successfuly turned HK into a global centre for the wine trade.
    Yes, we are now 16th in the world with $295.67 million of exports

    Interestingly Singapore does a lot more with $573.15 million of exports

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    23,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    If you are in a same-sex relationship and are married overseas, HK will recognise your spouse as a dependent. Singapore does not at all.
    Wasn't this due to a courts interpretation of a law rather than law itself being written in a modern way?
    shri likes this.

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3