Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hullexile

HK Local Primary School End of School Year Exams- Why 1 month before start of Summer?

HK Local Primary School End of School Year Exams- Why 1 month before start of Summer?

I am wondering why local Primary schools in Hong Kong have their end of year exams from around May 20th- June 8th, but the start of summer begins on July 13th? Do teachers need that amount of time to mark exams for final grade results?

It seems the stress has been palpable in the air- I remember someone's quib that if a student is stressed about exams, their parents are dealing 10x the amount of anxieties. I kinda see where he was coming from. Hopefully, students and parents are chilling and become less worried and anxious about tests and results.

Teachers usually finish grading exams within a week or two max. But the last month of school is usually special classes or presentations or special activity days to wrap up the school year or year-long projects.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlang11:
    I am wondering why local Primary schools in Hong Kong have their end of year exams from around May 20th- June 8th, but the start of summer begins on July 13th? Do teachers need that amount of time to mark exams for final grade results?

It seems the stress has been palpable in the air- I remember someone's quib that if a student is stressed about exams, their parents are dealing 10x the amount of anxieties. I kinda see where he was coming from. Hopefully, students and parents are chilling and become less worried and anxious about tests and results.
    The last couple of weeks are usually filled with activities and 'wind-down' for students as well as catching up on any missed curriculum. The exams are marked asap after the exams, then other activities get planned alongside unfinished classwork.

It is the same in other countries (at least the ones I know of) exams are always a month before end of school year.
    Although I'm not familiar with primary exams (never had that), only secondary etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    It is the same in other countries (at least the ones I know of) exams are always a month before end of school year.
    Although I'm not familiar with primary exams (never had that), only secondary etc..
    Not here in the Philippines. Exams are last days of year.
    Sith likes this.

Yes, I have noticed that students get their results back awfully quick, as you mentioned around 1 week after receiving them. I don't teach at a public school, but I wonder whether students are given indepth feedback on their exam sheets. I heard that for revision post-exam, students would make some corrections on the margins of their exam papers. Also, I presume the end of year exams would count for a substantial percentage of their final mark for that specific subject? And the beat goes on.

Obviously, at UK universities, there is a 2-3 week exam period at the end of the semester reaching(for Fall semester, after the winter holiday- mid Jan to begin Feb, and Spring semester, mid May to beginning of June.

Primary school is taken very seriously here. We never had exams in primary school, which is not good in fairness.

The amount of special days and extravagance of them takes some adjusting to, such as sports days outside of the campus, field trips, school anniversary events (every five years), whatever religious ceremonies to brownnose the sponsors, and of course the primary graduation day that would put our university graduation to shame. The kids also do interviews to attend all schools as far as I know. It must be fun interviewing Kindergarten 'graduates'.

To be fair it does prepare them well for the same inevitable bs later in life. When they do interviews later they will have a lot more experience than I had doing my first interview, and they won't be standing around like a gombeen at a more significant graduation.