Shock! HK pop 'stars' smoke splif!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shock! HK pop 'stars' smoke splif!

Hk Standard: Pot idols on Tokyo rap

"Hong Kong singing idols Kelvin Kwan Chor-yiu and Wei Si have been arrested in Tokyo for the alleged possession of marijuana."

Some things I find interesting about the story:

1. I have no idea who the two singers are.

2. The two singers had been in HK anti-drug campaigns!

3. Alan Tam (god father) and Leon Lai (boss of record company) I have heard about.

4. Tam says 'it has affected the public's view of Hong Kong artistes'. Positively or negatively?

5. The 'Cantopop couple are still being held by Japanese authorities...8 days after their arrest'; 'Under Japanese law... the penalty for personal use [of cannabis]' is a jail term of up to 5 years.

Lessons to be learned - (1) don't do drugs in Japan. (2) HK government shouldn't use stars in any campaigns (chastity, drugs,drink driving etc) (3) HK stars are becoming less and less famous (or I'm getting older)

That one stupid joint is going to cost them loads and they are probably kicking themselves for arguing with the shop keeper, i bet it was over some pot noodles. LOL

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Why would the HK government use Canadian and British citizens in HK anti-drug PSAs? Could it really not find a Hongkonger?

heh... amateurs.

I was born and raised in HK till I was 16 and used to listened to Canton pop (bad times) I think the whole Hong Kong canton Pop scene is a joke and it's getting worse! Not because only the use of drugs, it is because there is absolutely no talents or good music whatsoever, it is all imitations from other countries and worst of all no one can really sing, it's all about who you know, how you look and who your parents are and also they become more rich and famous just because they screw up in one way or other (e.g the earlier sex photos scandals) I really hope the entertainment industry in HK will become more inspiring for the new generation please!! It is one of the biggest reasons why HK people are so materialistic and lack of creativity.

From what I can tell, Cantopop was always derivative and cheesy.

The "stars" can snort, smoke and screw whatever and whoever they like for all I care. As long as they don't preach the converse.

Quote Originally Posted by lolatlife:
    I think the whole Hong Kong canton Pop scene is a joke and it's getting worse! Not because only the use of drugs, it is because there is absolutely no talents or good music whatsoever, it is all imitations from other countries and worst of all no one can really sing, it's all about who you know, how you look and who your parents are and also they become more rich and famous just because they screw up in one way or other...
    Yeah, shock, horror... *yawn*

Seems that many up-and-coming Canto pop/TV celebs (even past Miss/Mr HKs) get a huge leg-up from their connections - plus, extra perceived cachet from having elsewhere citizenship and having been schooled some years, West... Blah-blah.

Anyway, often they're contracted to media/record companies hoping to cash in on their youth-trendiness, and looks. Laters, the same media, tho' their more tabloidy side, just loves to prey on them. For instance, Jill Vidal (Wei Si), who was the "hot-young-bod" for a big slimming company, was hounded and criticised for her subsequent fluctuating weight - with unflattering close-ups of her bulging bits splashed all over local gossip rags. This fun-making is relentless for weeks - until they've someone else equally "juicy" to pick on (The gal had already admitted that she loves to eat, and did the slimming campaign for dosh!)

And, guessing here, but I've heard that they've very little choice in the matter as to which group projects or commercial ads they get roped in to do (e.g. Spring Fest CNY bonazas done in the same-ol' ways every year).

So, this time, it's a spliff in their pockets while in Tokyo... Reckless youth? Big deal...
    Last edited by emmie; 04-03-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Why would the HK government use Canadian and British citizens in HK anti-drug PSAs? Could it really not find a Hongkonger?
    Is it not the case that most celebrities (and indeed most people successful in any walk of life) in Hong Kong hold an overseas passport?

With the exception of Alan Zeman and Mike Rowse.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Wei Si is better know as Jill (her name is Jill Vidal), and I don't know where they got British citizen from. Maybe them mean BNO? Jill is filipino and korean/chinese, so probably was not allowed a HK Chinese passport? But she is definetely a Hongkonger.

But to me, the pot is not the shocking part. It is the fact that the idiots got caught shoplifting. So this Kelvin guy is a complete moron! If you are carrying anything illigal on you, don't commit a crime!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast