Tut, tut Tsang

Closed Thread

Tut, tut Tsang

Says he speaks for Hong Kongers in relation to the 1989 crackdown.

Didn't seem to go down well yesterday:

The Standard - Hong Kong's First FREE English Newspaper

I've only been here a short while but it seems that public figures seem to like causing controversy through foot in mouth syndrome e.g. Jackie Chan style or simply ironic / poor taste humour i.e. Chip Tsao.
    Perhaps in the cause of any publicity is good publicity OR maybe people are just to keen to take offense through stupidity

Perhaps Donald Tsang should follow some advice I occasionally have to observe "It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

You cant exactly keep your mouth shut when you're addressing / answering questions in Legco!

Perhaps a little preparation instead Or should I assume D Tsang goes into all his Q&As woefully underprepared

Well, it is pretty common these days for politicians to say what they really mean (and have rehearsed) to send a message across to their followers. Apologies are meaningless unless you're doing the whole harakiri thing...

I'm gonna add politics and Asian cultural norms to list of things I should learn more about and follow my own advice - good point Shri

This question is one that was clearly intended to trap the CEO.

They weren't interested in anything other than hoping he'd stumble and of course it sounds like he did with a statement that is innocuous at best and confusing at worst.

To give a personal opinion on this would be like a CEO of a small but important subsidiary of a major global enterprise commenting on the actions of the parent back in 1989 given some event back then that was highly controversial.

There does seem to be a lot of local people who screw up replying to questions. I should branch into training to handle queries such as this for prominent people who have to answer questions like this. When I was in charge of this type of thing in a large Canadian company, we'd dream up in advance all the potential questions and of course the messages in response to them so people didn't screw up.

Last edited by Football16; 15-05-2009 at 04:45 PM.

I still don't get what the whole deal is about. If the public can forgive Regina Ip then why should Tsang care?

Football.. Can you imagine the scene in Beijing if they were to discuss why Tsang is being media trained by a gwailo?
    Posted via Mobile Device

More than his answer (which is admittedly rubbish but unsurprising for him....) the reaction of other politicians is also complete rubbish....4 years old in a playground are better at debating/discussing than HK "politicians"....makes you seriously wonder what/who we would/could vote for the day we have universal suffrage....

About half the legco is elected by universal suffrage already, including all the members who act like kids. Fortunately my representatives aren't amongst them.