Classic Hong Kong moment

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

>> shri....yes...yes i do

Weird. I seem to get the impression that the US banks have become paranoid about their customers and knowing them.

Perhaps Hang Seng is different in how it operates (come to think of it, its parent bank HSBC is not that easy to deal with either...).

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Weird. I seem to get the impression that the US banks have become paranoid about their customers and knowing them.
    they are...but the key word is "existing" customer. we are not new customers. We have been in business with Hang Seng for over 10 years. they have all our information on record. they can call the registered phone number and authenticate the signer by asking account details, and then re-verfiy the address if need be. theres lots of simple things that a bank in this day and age can do....but Hang Seng will not budge at all...even for a long time customer over such a ridiculously inane procedure.

Agree - pretty crap service if they've been your bank for that many years. On the other hand .. our bank branch called us because someone had deposited a check from our account to someone else, without a signature....

We faxed a form in and matter was resolved. The benefits I guess of working with a small chinese bank where "everyone knows your name".

Do you have a named relationship manager that you can sort this out with? I don't have experience with business accounts, but for personal accounts the Relationship Manager has a fair bit of discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Do you have a named relationship manager that you can sort this out with? I don't have experience with business accounts, but for personal accounts the Relationship Manager has a fair bit of discretion.
    we do...and they should....but this procedure they will not budge for us. no matter how i explained it, no matter how many solutions and examples i threw at them...even when i threatened to take our accounts elsewhere...she would not budge.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    we do...and they should....but this procedure they will not budge for us. no matter how i explained it, no matter how many solutions and examples i threw at them...even when i threatened to take our accounts elsewhere...she would not budge.
    In that case, call their bluff, carry out what you threaten to do, take your account elsewhere.

pin - both you and I know it is not that easy to take a 10 year business relationship and move it to a new bank. You can bluff, but the bank knows you're not going to move .... specially if you have facilities / credit lines etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    pin - both you and I know it is not that easy to take a 10 year business relationship and move it to a new bank. You can bluff, but the bank knows you're not going to move .... specially if you have facilities / credit lines etc.
    exactly.....cant do anything.