Like Tree12Likes

Would freedom in 2047 be lost in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

why would they change anything? if it's not broke, don't fix it. Sure they may make some changes. But again, why would they want to risk civil unrest?? Why would they want large scale immigration, an increase in crime rates, which would ultimately lead to less foreign investment. The agreement for fifty years gives the government the opportunity to change the one country two systems, but again, I don't see why they would want to ruin what is a very good money maker for them (China). The agreement doesn't say that after fifty years the SAR will cease to exist. No one ever thinks of it this way, in fact, it seems like more of the same scare mongering that was present before the handover, and the "doom and gloom" prophecies that never happened. I predict little or no changes post 2047.

As the years get closer to 2047 (5 years one from the OP!), surely there will have to be the start of some kind of framework to set out life "beyond 2047". This could hang over the SAR in a similar way in which "1997" hung over the SAR in the 80s and 90s, unless clear transitional frameworks are laid out.

This thread reminds me of that old "frog-in-hot-water" analogy. Put a frog in a pan of hot water, not so hot as to burn him alive instantly, but just let it be aware it is a nice temperature. Now ever so slowly turn up the temperature after each hour. The frog probably won't realize it is being cooked alive this way...until it is too late.

Is that the same for HK in 2047? The city's freedoms are taken away not all at once, but bit-by-bit such that you may not realize it until it really is gone. I would hope not, but you can certainly make an argument that it is going down that road.

Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    We can't afford to supply arms and missiles to our own army so I'll doubt we will be giving them away to others.
    My late grandfather served in the Royal Navy during WW2. He would roll in his grave to see how the navy has shunk to this tiny size today. Its really sad to see how the Royal Navy is but a mere shadow of its former self.

By 2047, the Chinese navy could probably be twenty times the size of the Royal Navy of that date.

I thought press freedom was still pretty good and very much alive in HK? At least vs somewhere like Singapore

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4