Like Tree31Likes

Nancy Kissel's conviction quashed, upheld and more drama...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

From the judgement

"As to the inherent probabilities, the defence is entitled to say this. If Mrs Kissel had indeed planned to drug Mr Kissel into a defenceless state with a view to battering him to death, she would surely have realised that drugging Mr Tanzer, too, would greatly increase the risk of detection."

and

"In other words, could it be that she did lace the milkshakes but only with a view to calming Mr Kissel down – as she said that she had done in the past – and thinking that the effect on Mr Tanzer would not be very noticeable? "

Of course there is also the baseball bat

"245. The prosecution says that the baseball bat appeared in mysterious circumstances well into the trial. Called by the defence, Mrs Kissel’s half brother Dr Brooks Keeshin gave evidence of finding the baseball bat lying on the floor behind a chest of drawers in the master bedroom when he visited the flat with Mrs Kissel’s solicitor Mr Simon Clarke on 9 November 2003. That was one week after the killing. It followed the release by the police of the premises which they had at one stage kept sealed as a crime scene. Dr Keeshin said that he and Mr Clarke examined the baseball bat but noticed nothing on it. Then, Dr Keeshin said, Mr Clarke placed the baseball bat inside a pillowcase. Dr Keeshin’s understanding was, he said, that Mr Clarke would take the baseball bat to his office."

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> So... another trial.

Thought you could not be tried for the same offence twice. Or is that the case in US TV shows?
    I believe it's in UK laws as well, but then that belief originated from reading Mysterious Affair At Stiles ... and Double jeopardy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah yes - I'd forgotten that bit about the baseball bat suddenly appearing at the scene one week later; thanks for the reminder. It seems to me that Messrs Clarke and Keeshin should be up for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I was surprised to learn she's still in Hong Kong. I thought crims were usually repatriated (where such bilateral agreements exist) to serve out their time in their country after a couple of years.
    if not mistaken she is the only gweipo behind bars in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Wonder if there's any descrimination behind the bars

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I believe it's in UK laws as well, but then that belief originated from reading Mysterious Affair At Stiles ... and Double jeopardy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Indeed it was, but one of the many "features" of New Labour's rule over the UK was the introduction of "double jeopardy" in England & Wales from 2005.

It is rather strange that, despite having such a strong Scottish component, many of the more egregious aspects of New Labour's dismantling of the UK's legal heritage apply only to England & Wales, whereas Scotland retains many of the tried and tested aspects in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Nope - Pauline Cousins is behind bars too.

What happened to the drunken Danish student in the taxi?

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    What happened to the drunken Danish student in the taxi?
    That was a guy (i.e., a gweilo, not a gweipo).

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Nope - Pauline Cousins is behind bars too.
    Ture they are two now...
    Nancy was alone for a few years tho. Pauline only joined her a few months ago.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast