Like Tree31Likes

Nancy Kissel's conviction quashed, upheld and more drama...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Nancy Kissel's conviction quashed, upheld and more drama...

From RTHK:

The Court of Final Appeal has overturned Nancy Kissel's murder conviction for killing her husband. "The court unanimously allows the appeal, quashes the conviction and orders a re-trial," Chief Justice Andrew Li said. Any application for bail will be heard in the Court of First Instance and she will remain in custody in the meantime.

Mrs Kissel, dubbed the "milkshake murderer" for allegedly serving her husband Robert a sedatives-laced strawberry milkshake before bludgeoning him to death in 2003, received a life sentence in 2005. Her three-month trial featured a heady mix of adultery, violence, spying, greed and enormous wealth. The 45-year-old American admitted killing the investment-banker, but pleaded not guilty to murder, arguing that she was the abused wife of a cocaine-addicted husband.

During the appeal hearing, the prosecution contended the evidence against her was overwhelming and a murder sentence had been inevitable. The defence argued that material irregularities during the trial rendered the murder verdict unsafe.
    So... another trial.

In a world far less sympathetic to Bankers.

Maybe if they can tie the financial meltdown to her deceased husband, the beating death will be justified.

Gobsmacked.
    Researches poisoning, poisons him, poisons a neighbour, kills her husband, wraps him in a carpet, has the body moved to a store room, admits to killing her husband, known to have a not-so-secret lover.

Phuqing hell fire.

I was surprised to learn she's still in Hong Kong. I thought crims were usually repatriated (where such bilateral agreements exist) to serve out their time in their country after a couple of years.

Great day to be working for the prosecutors office. Wonder if any of the prosecutors involved would be fired? Nah .. doubt it.

It does show what a good legal team can do, even in the most obvious cases.

Bet they will cock up and let Tony Chan go too ....

>> So... another trial.

Thought you could not be tried for the same offence twice. Or is that the case in US TV shows?

You can if there's a mistrial. The essence of the CFA judgement seems to be (I've only skimmed the 111 pages so far) that the judge mishandled the trial and misdirected the jury in the area of evidence relating to whether she could claim "self-defence". I must admit I previously thought that "self-defence" related to "heat of the moment" defence, but apparently now in Hong Kong "self-defence" can include researching drugs in advance online, getting them prescribed for yourself under false pretences, administering them to the victim (and, incidentally, to a neighbour), and then bludgeoning him to death while he is at best semi-conscious.

What a huge waste of taxpayers' money!

now in Hong Kong "self-defence" can include researching drugs in advance online, getting them prescribed for yourself under false pretences, administering them to the victim (and, incidentally, to a neighbour), and then bludgeoning him to death while he is at best semi-conscious.
    Quote of the year....

Don't get too excited though, the year has just begun.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> So... another trial.

Thought you could not be tried for the same offence twice. Or is that the case in US TV shows?
    If acquitted the first time. But the Law Reform Commission is looking into the double jeopardy rule.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 11-02-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast