• Yes and also the Lion Rock tunnel

3 4.55%
  • No - WHT tunnel should lower its prices

36 54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree33Likes

Cross Harbour Tunnel

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Average expenditure by a car owner on petrol will be lower in HK than in most other countries.

5000 extra cars hit the streets every year. lower tolls will mean more traffic

so would raising the CHT to $40 have the same effect? Why should everyone subsidies a few car owners?

Last edited by East_coast; 08-08-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Average expenditure by a car owner on petrol will be lower in HK than in most other countries.
    How do you work that out?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

5000 extra cars hit the streets every year. lower tolls will mean more traffic
    How many cars are scrapped, de-registered or exported abroad each year ? Based on that, what is the differential between cars removed from HK roads, and new cars being put on the road ?

I don't know how you work out car ownership being cheaper here, because in fuel cost, registration and insurance cost area's, it is a min of 50% higher, compared to Australia. Factor in duty differentials on popular, (new) imported cars, and Hong Kong is pricey as. Car ownership in Australia, is considered very pricey compared to the USA. So how can HK be deemed as cheaper ?

Please explain ? ( in my best Pauline Hanson voice )
    Last edited by Skyhook; 08-08-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    How many cars are scrapped, de-registered or exported abroad each year ? Based on that, what is the differential between cars removed from HK roads, and new cars being put on the road ?

I don't know how you work out car ownership being cheaper here, because in fuel cost, registration and insurance cost area's, it is a min of 50% higher, compared to Australia. Factor in duty differentials on popular, (new) imported cars, and Hong Kong is pricey as. Car ownership in Australia, is considered very pricey compared to the USA. So how can HK be deemed as cheaper ?

Please explain ? ( in my best Pauline Hanson voice )
    East Coast's style of discussion seems to be to throw in a completely false statement without any supporting evidence and then just ignore it afterwards.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    East Coast's style of discussion seems to be to throw in a completely false statement without any supporting evidence and then just ignore it afterwards.
    Yep, have to agree.

check out TD department for number of registered vehicles. Approx 5000 additional private cars registered every year for the last 10 years.

Average journeys in HK are pretty short, high earners tend to have cars so as a % of income petrol in HK will be lower than many other western countries.

You just make stuff up as you go along don't you? Crackin' debating tactic that.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    check out TD department for number of registered vehicles. Approx 5000 additional private cars registered every year for the last 10 years.

Average journeys in HK are pretty short, high earners tend to have cars so as a % of income petrol in HK will be lower than many other western countries.
    Beijing is expected to have an additional 1,000,000 new cars per year I read in the SCMP
    Hangzhou is expected to have an additional 300,000 new cars per year I was told when I visited there
    The annual rate of additional car registrations in London is 22,000 down on previous years.

An extra 5,000 is pretty minimal isn't it?

With road density levels that are already near the highest in the world and only 2000kms of road an additional 5000 vehicles every year is very significant especially when there is no congestion zones, limited pedestrian area and key toll roads are the same super cheap price both on and off peak.

Last edited by East_coast; 09-08-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast