GeoExpat Blogs are online!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GeoExpat Blogs are online!

A quick heads up...

We're still tweaking the system a little bit, but as far as I can tell the blogs are online and fully functional.

If you've registered before the 5th of June, you'll have to reset your password. Find out how to reset your blog password and claim your blog

Blog summary : http://www.geoexpat.com/members/

Your blog: Look at the User Menu on the left column.

Every user has their own photo gallery which is built into their blog. We'll be phasing out our current gallery soon.

Use this thread for any questions / problems.

Well... it didn't break instantly when I cut'n'pasted an entry in from my 'real blog'...
    It's an integrated (well, somewhat) WordPress, right?
    There's some slightly funky stuff going on with the control panel - the word CENTRE in MEDIA CENTRE and CONTROL CENTRE doesn't seem to want to stay visible...
    I seem to have made a non-existent post called Congratulations which I can't see or delete, but which is linked in my history...
    Why is my personal info not automatically filled in when I go to post a comment to my own blog? For that matter, would be nice to have me show up differently as a comment author, so it's obvious it's my blog.
    The ads are right at the limit of what I would accept on a page posted under my name - I know it's all about the ads, but all-images bad, animated bad!
    It's possible I missed it, but there was no obvious thing saying that all the content remains mine and I have the right to a) use it elsewhere b) remove it from this site and c) in general, do whatever I want with it.
    What would your thoughts be on my (manually) copying and pasting from my 'real blog' - if nothing else, I'd be interested to see what sort of traffic/comments I'd pick up here? Actually, it would be nice to have some way to integrate my existing blog in here... and will it be integrated into the user info page (or preferably somewhere where anyone might see it without going looking, like in the header of forum posts by me) in a "Last blog post: 06/06/06" way, like Slashdot journals?
    Need more themes - doesn't look like I can change the look'n'feel of my own page... Bad.

This sounds critical... it's a new thing, and I think it would be really cool if we could get an active blogging community going here!

Edit: Dunno how sane it would be to provide it, but I'm anal enough to like following the logs and so forth for my own site - I see the stats page in the control panel, but how about a simple hit counter?
    Edit 2: The default list of posts only shows this month, but the timestamp on Congratulations is 00/00/00 - telling it to show all posts has let me delete it

Last edited by vmlinuz; 05-06-2006 at 04:57 PM.

vmlinuz : not wordpress .. we've taken a multiuser blogging system and tweaked the hell out of it.

>> personal info not automatically filled in

Will be in a day or two. We've started with a really bare bones version and will scale up the features over the next few days / weeks and months.

>> to integrate my existing blog in here

RSS imports and blog imports (blogger / metaWebLog and movable type) are on the list of things to do. So is the flickr integration and a few more ajaxy / web2.0 goodies.

>> Need more themes - doesn't look like I can change the look'n'feel of my own page... Bad.

Have about 30-40 themes being tweaked for inclusion over the next few weeks. We're not going to allow for custom themes -- some security issues that I'm being paranoid about.

Bottom line ... we have a great platform which has taken a while to integrate with the current user management system.

Lots of features have been stripped out .. just to make sure that they don't impact performance. Will be enabled one by one over the next days / weeks.

The goal is to build up the blogging community and traffic just like we've built up the forums.. one user @ a time.

Sorry - got the WordPress from misreading something...

Fair enough on features, themes, integration coming along...

As I said - not meant to be criticial, just a dump of my immediate impressions - would love to see 15,000 registered bloggers here

>> and will it be integrated into the user info page

Yeah. One of the things we have planned will be a link to your latest 4 blog posts from any forum posts you may have... sort of like a signature.

Cool !!!!

Dont have any blogs so may start one here.

Like a lot of people, my questions are all to do with integrating with my current blog. In my case it's on livejournal. How would I post to both? Is it worth it to keep a blog in both places? etc Will watch this space

We're definately not going to support posting to both... that would depend on how you do it and what tools you use.

By the way, can someone with a mac test the blog out with ecto?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast