Like Tree1Likes

discrimination thank you

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

discrimination thank you

Thanks everyone for replying to my discrimination post. I understand all that was said, but am still curious.

While applying to jobs (mostly teaching), often a response comes through suggesting a photo. Holding proper teaching certifications, an American college diploma, and having had previous experience teaching in China, possiblities for getting a great job seem hopefull.

A photo of a black face, along with a respectful reply is sent, and following there is no responses from the school/employer.

What does this mean? Does anyone have suggestions?
    Does anyone know of an open opennings in Hong Kong for a hard worker, looking to have one last experience abroad before heading to law school?

Thank you again for your replies, I hope you can expand on what keeps happening.

Some schools will indeed discriminate but not through there own choice sad to say.

The parents sometimes actually demand that there kids are taught by some blond blue eyed american or european for example.

There will be language centres out there that will take you on of course but the hardest part is finding them as there are literally so many out there.

Hong kong is not the only place to use race as a pillar of society. I say...if you want to live in HK, get used to the culture and the way people think; you sure as heck aint going to change their views. No matter how many "laws" and other bureaucratic garbage is passed, people's mindset will not change.

I never experience racism myself, but I'm a "gwai louh" (white foreigner) - no one actually called me that, but even if they did I could care less. Probably because most people are afraid of me haha I would suck it up and ignore the situation. If you can't handle it, consider moving out of HK - if racism bothers you, HK is NOT the place to be, I assure you. But, again, show me one country where people are not racist? At least here people are straight forward; in japan, they'll smile in your face, and hate you behind your back...go figure right? what's the better of two evils?

Last edited by tvrlover; 26-07-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrose:
    A photo of a black face, along with a respectful reply is sent, and following there is no responses from the school/employer.
    Asking for a photo is blatantly unprofessional. Why should it be a decision point? In the companies I worked for, I was never asked to give one. And I actually was never asked for one in any position I applied for. I never put a photo in my CV (though they would probably have figured out from my surname that Im a Chinese female...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    The parents sometimes actually demand that there kids are taught by some blond blue eyed american or european for example.
    Ka-Ching! My wife is a teacher and at her school, one of the biggest in HK, they had to let all the teachers go who weren't white and/or didn't have an English accent as students were complaining.
    There are also some schools which only employ teachers with American accents as that is what the students want as they will be going to study in the US (or Israel!!).
    It is an unfortunate fact of life but I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be uncomfortable learning Cantonese from an Aryan German or Mandarin from a Singaporean Sikh- even if both had been born and raised in the linguistic environment.

Quote Originally Posted by jrose:
    Thanks everyone for replying to my discrimination post. I understand all that was said, but am still curious.

While applying to jobs (mostly teaching), often a response comes through suggesting a photo. Holding proper teaching certifications, an American college diploma, and having had previous experience teaching in China, possiblities for getting a great job seem hopefull.

What does this mean? Does anyone have suggestions?
    Does anyone know of an open opennings in Hong Kong for a hard worker, looking to have one last experience abroad before heading to law school?

Thank you again for your replies, I hope you can expand on what keeps happening.
    Not sure why you want to come here. I am black. I am here because my employers want someone with my skill set. I wouldn't be here otherwise and don't intend to stay long for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tvrlover:
    Hong kong is not the only place to use race as a pillar of society. I say...if you want to live in HK, get used to the culture and the way people think; you sure as heck aint going to change their views. No matter how many "laws" and other bureaucratic garbage is passed, people's mindset will not change.

I never experience racism myself, but I'm a "gwai louh" (white foreigner) - no one actually called me that, but even if they did I could care less. Probably because most people are afraid of me haha I would suck it up and ignore the situation. If you can't handle it, consider moving out of HK - if racism bothers you, HK is NOT the place to be, I assure you. But, again, show me one country where people are not racist? At least here people are straight forward; in japan, they'll smile in your face, and hate you behind your back...go figure right? what's the better of two evils?
    I'm sorry but the black experience here is totally different to the white experience and should not be compared.
    pushiv likes this.

Unfortunately this is true.

There are several very black guys on Lamma (from Senegal I believe) and when you walk behind them going into IFC from the ferry you can see parents pulling their kids away and the fear in peoples faces when they realise there is a black person behind them.
    Saying that I also know several other black people who are happy and content here and go about their daily lives regardless.

Last edited by Lammarite; 26-07-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolgirl:
    Asking for a photo is blatantly unprofessional. Why should it be a decision point? ...

Asking for a photo with a resume is a common HR practice in Asia. Go to anywhere from Malaysia to Thailand, and the same practice is utilized. Although it doesn't fit with western ideals of "politically correct," most locals could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by JBest:
    I'm sorry but the black experience here is totally different to the white experience and should not be compared.
    There is no argument about that; however, you fail to mention the black vs. white exprience is different in MOST countries (obviously not africa/ME for the most part). Go to some redneck towns in the USA, and you'll see what black vs. white really is - a real eye opener.

I'm just a little tired of seeing people move to hong kong and then moan about how bad it is here. My view is: If you don't like it, move. I know I would. I don't like singapore; hence, I don't live or go there - simple as that. Feasibly, it's not an option for everyone, but being in HK, for most, is a privilege - don't take it for granted.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast