response to tvrlover and all gweilos complaining about discrimination

Closed Thread

response to tvrlover and all gweilos complaining about discrimination

Ok, KIA, hope you don't mind my last hurrah - I was busy the past two days so wasnt able to reply to the last thread.

Tvrlover, you can say move it and leave, because in most cities, you would not have that discrimination anyway. Of all the races, being a Caucasian has the least right to complain that they are discriminated. If you compare it to the rest of the world, and see how blacks and Asians are treated, what gweilos are experiencing is nothing compared to that.

I know what jrose and JBest are talking about. When I was working in the UK in investment banking in a 90% white caucasian men environment, I just had to speak louder to make myself heard. It did take a toll on me.

I agree discrimination exist, and we should live with it. But that doesn't mean anyone has the right to stop people to speak out and fight for what they deserve.

KIA, I have always respected your posts and find them really insightful, but I must say I was disappointed that you favor a post like tvrlover's which has absolutely no understanding for what the real issue is.

If you want my employer, top three clients, name, what I do, I can PM them to you. I don't speak out due to anonymity. I speak out because I believe in it.

And you can close this thread.

Red face

Yes Coolgirl, totally agree with you! But then again, this is not to say that I don't like gweilos. I do have good friends that are white. But this is the world that we live in. As long as I try my best not to discriminate against others, I'm fine. You can't fight what others have in their mind.

Ok, my last 2 cents' worth...KIA...I promise!

say it loud

Quote Originally Posted by coolgirl:
    Ok, KIA, hope you don't mind my last hurrah - I was busy the past two days so wasnt able to reply to the last thread.

Tvrlover, you can say move it and leave, because in most cities, you would not have that discrimination anyway. Of all the races, being a Caucasian has the least right to complain that they are discriminated. If you compare it to the rest of the world, and see how blacks and Asians are treated, what gweilos are experiencing is nothing compared to that.

I know what jrose and JBest are talking about. When I was working in the UK in investment banking in a 90% white caucasian men environment, I just had to speak louder to make myself heard. It did take a toll on me.

I agree discrimination exist, and we should live with it. But that doesn't mean anyone has the right to stop people to speak out and fight for what they deserve.

KIA, I have always respected your posts and find them really insightful, but I must say I was disappointed that you favor a post like tvrlover's which has absolutely no understanding for what the real issue is.
    missed the original thread, but the idea of a white guy complaining about discrimination is hilarious. 'live with discrimination'? fight the power!

Quote Originally Posted by coolgirl:
    If you want my employer, top three clients, name, what I do, I can PM them to you. I don't speak out due to anonymity.
    Why PM, just send them right here

PM because I don't want tons of people stalking or harrassing me!!! But I do stand up to what I say, that's the point

I don't hate gweilos either! That's not the point. I don't hate gweilos, but dislike some of them whining about being discriminated...

Thanks Coolgirl. I am a little surprised by KIA's response given that up until now I had a fair bit of respect for his posts.

KIA: You state that your general practice is to allow the debate to go on for a few days and then shut them down. That thread lasted approximately 14 hours before you closed it. This was the reason I asked why the thread had been closed. I know that a similar thread had recently started, possibly by the same poster, but it appeared that she/he had more information to add.

You say that Geoexpat should not be used as a soapbox, and yet it frequently is, for example, the working hours thread and the Hong Kong is the rudest city on earth thread - so again not sure why this particular thread got singled out for such speedy closure other than you had a personal issue with the comments that were posted on it. In that sense your response seemed arbitrary, hence the reference to "Big Brother".

I am not sure whether you were directing the "abusers who want freedom" and the comments that went with it to me. I am at a loss as to what I did or said that in any way could be defined as abuse. I don't think of myself of anonymous on Geoexpat - I have been on many Geoexpat events and many people who attend them know who I am and where I work. I won't tell them or you whom my clients are because that will be a breach confidentiality and my clients already know what a nice person I am.

Anyway - thanks for clarifying that if you want freedom of speech / debate on certain subjects, even when such debate is not malicious, abusive or aggressive, Geoexpat is not the place to be.

I find it funny that someone complaining about white people moaning about discrimination finds it acceptable to use the word gweilo so freely. It might not be offensive to some, but it is to others, think about that before you moan about other people's racism

Fine .. now everyone has their last say.

Jbest, like I said, take it elsewhere if you think we're not being fair. If you'd noticed we gave everyone a fair chance to say their bit .. and after that it just gets personal and offensive.