Mobile Users - Things got a little better

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mobile Users - Things got a little better

Check this out with yout mobile phones and let me know if you see any difference.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/

If this works ok, we will be implementing it sitewide.

Last edited by KnowItAll; 11-01-2007 at 10:17 AM.

That page looks pretty nice, yes - thanks

I'm not sure if it's meant to, but the login doesn't work for me at the moment... The content is all indented, which isn't a disaster, but is a bit of a waste of precious pixels... I'm not sure if it already is, but inlining the CSS would be good - on my setup, at least, the biggest delays in the browser seem to be caused by multiple HTTP connections - I guess it doesn't do pipelining, and there's a chance it's doing a new DNS lookup for each connection, stuff like that - anyway, inline CSS should make it load faster.

Consider this positive criticism, as usual - if the login works and I can get to my PMs and subscribed threads, I'd be deleting my bookmark to load the site through the Google proxy...

The login might be an issue, we encrypt the password before it is sent out on the wire, using some javascript. Will look into it.

The CSS and stuff is not perfect right now, will be tweaking as things progress.

Pretty much a work in progress.

Forgot .. the login worked on the treo simulator I have, so this will need some more trouble shooting.

Just tried again, and it looks like the login itself works - I get the "thanks for logging in" screen - but then on the redirected page, I'm not logged-in... could be a cookie thing, but they do work on other sites.

Clicking on email notifications (yes I do get some through) I see that Opera Mini in tandem with your mobile version of the website is correctly positioning me at the first of the unread posts - hoorah!
    Avatars are not being displayed - hoorah!
    The time stamp on posts is not being displayed - not so good.

Will tweak some more over the weekend. Give it a shot on Monday...

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Will tweak some more over the weekend. Give it a shot on Monday...
    Nothing personal - you know I love you with all my heart - but I'm going to be either sunning myself on a beach or at a nice hardcore technical conference on Monday... in Sydney! And you know what roaming data charges are like...

Aww ... best of luck at the conference.

About two or three days ago Opera Mini and Blazer browsers running on my mobile have started crashing when accessing this site. All other sites are fine. Nothing has changed on my mobile so I suspect that something on this site is doing it. Grateful if you could confirm this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast