Problem with "New Threads" / post timestamps

Closed Thread

Problem with "New Threads" / post timestamps

I seem to be getting some strange results when I use the "Get New Threads" option these days. Very often it gives me the "The threads below have not been updated ...." line above threads that definitely do contain new posts since my last visit, and this morning I noticed some weird timestamp stuff. See attached screenshots and check the date and times (wrong in both cases!).

The only thing that comes to mind is that this is a work PC, and my internet connection is probably routed internally through god-knows-where. Never noticed a problem before though.

Name:  list.bmp
Views: 247
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  post.bmp
Views: 251
Size:  93.2 KB

The Poll threads get updated when some votes or replies .. so I suspect that you're seeing the two different time stamps as someone might have voted on the poll.

Ok, that's possible. Still an issue with identifying new posts though - this thread was below the "The threads below have not been updated ...." line just now, though I hadn't read your reply yet.

I see that post times are being displayed on the mobile pages - thanks.
    I note also that cookies are working again after a brief sabatical - keyboard or not entering username and password on the MTR is only so much fun.

discobay : we should have another major upgrade on the mobile side in mid Feb. Right now, pretty damn focused on the superbowl stuff we do (expecting about 250,000 people to hit one of our servers in a space of 24 hours and download about 3-4TB of videos .. ).

dougp : will look at this after the 5th. Seems like a weird problem which will need a fair bit of code review to see if any of the code has changed in the "get new" area.

If I had to guess, I'd say it also has something to do with pinned/sticky threads - I think they can appear at the top of the list of updated threads, even if they haven't been updated, and it's possible that something somewhere is then saying "okay, that thread hasn't been updated, so put the 'since your last visit' message above it". Just a guess...

And the mobile stuff still doesn't keep me logged-in past the 'thanks for logging in' redirection page, just to feed the thread drift

vmlinuz : thats the right piece of code .. but still, a fair bit has been changed .. so lets see if we can catch the problematic piece.

Not this week though ...

Last edited by KnowItAll; 28-01-2007 at 06:00 PM.