Show many posts per page (forum)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Show many posts per page (forum)

Hi!

I've tried changing the default setting to "posts per page" and still only see eight posts per page. Any idea how to change that? I am used to seeing maybe eighty posts per page on other pages. Opening new pages is a pain in the a**.

/N

Is it not possible to show say 80 posts in one page if I would like that instead of opening page after page after page? Anyone?

Nikasp, not the number of posts per page is not configurable.

When the number was configured, the average number of replies per thread was 8.

Code:
    mysql> select avg(replycount),count(*) from thread;
    +-----------------+----------+
    | avg(replycount) | count(*) |
    |          7.5889 |    15416 |
    1 row in set (0.03 sec)
    Still is .. average 8 replies per thread.

I hear you but would like it to be configurable. Is it a performance thing or is it more that people should be able to say "check out page 9"?

The average reply count hides a very wide spread though... my gut feeling is that either threads have very few replies or they have lots. I agree that I would prefer 20+ per page (and unless my memory is playing tricks on me the option did work in the past on this site - perhaps several years ago).

It would be interesting to see if you upped it to 10 posts whether the post count would go up. It may be the 'Page 2 syndrome' in the same way that if you are on the 2nd page of a Google search you may as well be on the 90th page because no-one goes to a 2nd page search.

Nika, it is a performance thing for sure.

Every post that is displayed adds to the number of SQL queries and the memory that is taken up on the server processes ( php / caches ).

To keep both SQL query and memory usage predicable on a per page basis we've kept the number of posts frozen at 8 per page.

We serve a total of 200-300K dynamically generated pages per day across our main server, so it is fairly important to keep things as stable as possible.

PDLM : there are variances, for now I'd rather stick to the average to predict resource use.

The variable amount of posts per page was used a couple of times to overload the server and when it was enabled, few (less than 10) people used it.

>> It would be interesting to see if you upped it to 10 posts
    >> whether the post count would go up.

The flip side is that it might also change the signal to noise ratio.

Lets stick with 8 ... its been a lucky number for a lot of us.

Humbug!!

(Oh, but the posting limit is 10 letters- this is a dictatorship, not an open forum!!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast