Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By shri

iPhone App Preview

Closed Thread

iPhone App Preview

Version 1.0 of our iPhone app is pretty much all set to be submitted to Apple for approval.

As mobile usage increases and users move to specific apps for entertainment and information, specially when they're not in front of their computers, this is a long term investment for us at GeoClicks.

Here's what the app includes:

- All our forums, in all the cities that they're available in, in ONE application. This includes GeoExpat.Com, GeoBaby.Com and the to be launched GeoSchools community which will focus on educational issues for parents and older kids.

Version 1.5 (Early May release) will include location based features - including discount offers. You will be able to use this app to get access to businesses ( not just bars and restaurants ) which offer special deals to GeoExpat members, in the location you're currently in. Contact us to get more information on how to add your business to this app.

Version 2.0 will include our classifieds, events and push based messaging to allow instant notifications when someone replies to your ad, forum post etc.

Andriod app development is in progress and we hope to have 1.0 released by Mid to late April.

Contact us for advertising and sponsorship opportunities.

Here are some screenshots.

For those who use mobile phones that are not supported by us ( blackberries, microsoft, sony, nokia phones) we will continue to provide a HTML based mobile site. Just open Hong Kong Expats - Classifieds, Forums, Jobs & More For Expats in Hong Kong or other city specific sites in a mobile browser. We expect to maintain this platform as a usable / minimal feature platform.

Last edited by shri; 16-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Nice. So I guess you have already reserved version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 for the inevitable bug fixes that DeletedUser and PDLM are going to throw at you.

Based on their postings, I suspect neither of them will be using it.

By the way, here's one more reason why we will not spend a lot of time on the HTML version.

"On Apple's iOS 4.3, HTML5 and JavaScript apps are running significantly slower when they're run from the iPhone or iPad home screen rather than Safari, and the OS is hindering the performance of these apps in other ways. The end result is that it's harder for web apps to compete with native iOS app sold through the App Store, where Apple takes a 30 per cent of sales."

DeletedUser - Leave it... you're not going to convince me that we need to provide more than what is available right now for basic HTML browsing - it works and other than your persistent voice, I don't really have anyone else asking us to spend more time on the HTML client. (The current skin fixes your problem with font sizes in the HTML text box ...)

Not sure about the iPhone app but the after the latest upgrade the web version on my mobile is one of the or the fastest site I can visit.

It would be nice to have a setting to be able to see the latest posts in each forum, like you had before instead of just the directory.

>> I would presume that an iphone app would be designed for iphone users - like me.

TigerSun - Spot on. I know of several websites who have lost significant traffic from their users who have moved to using apps as opposed to browsing websites. Search usage on phones is down significantly, as people prefer to find an app and stick with it, if its useful.

The app UI and structure allows us to integrate multiple forums, which would not be easily possible with a web based architecture.

Having said that, we're a little bit behind the curve with our 1.0 app, but will be ahead by 2.0.

Here's some interesting reading ...

http://www.ventureweek.ca/?p=835

5. Maintain flexible persistence
    Entrepreneurs get pulled in both directions. On one hand, they’re told to keep a vision, struggle through the criticism and make their company go. They’re also told, on the other hand, to be flexible, listen to what the data is saying and change to the customer’s desires. The seasoned entrepreneur has mastered the art, Hoffman argues, of maintaining flexible persistence.

6. Launch early enough to be embarrassed by your product’s first version

“Unless you’re Steve Jobs, you’re most likely partially wrong” about your product, Hoffman says. Leverage the network of your friends and the smart people around you because, even if they’re wrong, you need to hear their opinions.
    Last edited by shri; 17-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    emmie likes this.

I am with Tigersun on that one - I prefer using an application to using mobile safari.
    Looking forward to the app.