Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mingming
  • 2 Post By GeoTommy
  • 1 Post By Football16

How to search for threads have multiple keywords?

How to search for threads have multiple keywords?

Does anyone know how to search threads which have more than one keyword combined together?

For example: working experience

I have tried:
    - working experience
    - "working experience"
    - working+experience

All of them returned results with keyword individually like working or experience. So, there are many threads to look at which was not very helpful.

Any idea?

Football16 likes this.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I find "search engines" to be of great use when searching on a website. One can check the terms on just one site.

Let me gooogle that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I find "search engines" to be of great use when searching on a website. One can check the terms on just one site.

Wow...never thought about that. That's great!!

By the way, search engines have another function - Spell Check!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The extra 'o' was intentional. I frequently do it as I don't want to be seen promoting one particular search engine.

Search engines are also useful for finding etiquette sites which contain tips about not being rude to people who help you. You posted TWICE about something you could have easily found out yourself, yet you are rude to someone who actually did the search for you. As you didn't find the answer yourself, it was safe for me to assume that you are like many people who do not know some of the features of search engines. If my assumption was incorrect and you do know this feature of search engines, were you just too lazy to use it?

We actually use Google's Custom Search which searches only our site (top left on every page); so you don't need to go to Google and manually type in site:geoexpat.com

Tip: If you want to search just our forums and skip all other sections on the site like the classifieds, use the inurl: parameter, so like this.

Claire mingming asks a good question. I have often wondered how to search this site better myself when I see a question I know there are good replies too but yet I struggle to find them yet I know they are there.

GeoTommy: for the lay person what is the inurl? How do you find it? Serious question from a dummy I know.

mingming likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    GeoTommy: for the lay person what is the inurl? How do you find it? Serious question from a dummy I know.
    Try this cheat sheet (Page 2)
    mingming and drumbrake like this.

The extra 'o' was intentional. I frequently do it as I don't want to be seen promoting one particular search engine.

Search engines are also useful for finding etiquette sites which contain tips about not being rude to people who help you. You posted TWICE about something you could have easily found out yourself, yet you are rude to someone who actually did the search for you. As you didn't find the answer yourself, it was safe for me to assume that you are like many people who do not know some of the features of search engines. If my assumption was incorrect and you do know this feature of search engines, were you just too lazy to use it?
    I don't know what I did to make you have this feeling that I was lazy. I think many people ask questions without trying to search themselves, but I like do it myself before asking a question.

And the true is I didn't know we can use search engine searching within a specific website. I kept thinking it was a bad design of this site in how to do a search. That's why I said I had never thought about it. I just use search engine like a spell checker other than searching information. That's all my knowledge about search engine!

Thanks for your help because it's really very helpful.
    Last edited by mingming; 30-03-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Geotommy, I wonder if this is a bug or a feature.

I know there was a thread yesterday about the King of Tonga dying in Hong Kong.
    Today, I tried searching for King Tonga :: no results
    Then I tried searching for Tonga :: a few rugby related hits but couldnt find the thread from yesterday

Is there some configuration issue that the system miss such an obvious search ?
    Any hints so I can find the thread I want?