Like Tree5Likes

More sticky threads?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    What it is Bryant, is supplying links, info etc which has already been supplied - let's face it, for example this was covered when the student from Singapore wanted to buy a sportscar to get around. Surely car info can't get out that out of date in a few months?
    But SS, unless you search very specifically from a position of prior knowledge you might not get the latest info, I know because sometimes I've tried to find recent threads using obvious keywords and end up looking at years old threads.

Further, maybe you use the search engine and find threads about cars but all you can see is me vs. Min07 or you're looking churches and it's RJ, PDLM and TS throwing insults or you have only a budget of 20k and you see newbies getting trashed for that even though most people in HK cope on less - maybe you hope those guys have buggered off and you try to give it a fresh try!

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    But SS, unless you search very specifically from a position of prior knowledge you might not get the latest info, I know because sometimes I've tried to find recent threads using obvious keywords and end up looking at years old threads.

Further, maybe you use the search engine and find threads about cars but all you can see is me vs. Min07 or you're looking churches and it's RJ, PDLM and TS throwing insults or you have only a budget of 20k and you see newbies getting trashed for that even though most people in HK cope on less - maybe you hope those guys have buggered off and you try to give it a fresh try!

Just a thought.
    You do have a point to an extent BUT there was an awful lot of info on that student thread. In today's car question case, I think I could immediately see the usual suspects about to come out (yes you, MI07 et al) and start the bus vs car argument (discussion??) yet again Perhaps if the OP had stated that he had searched but...Anyway, he has come back to that thread and all seems good, people have given him some good input.
    The really sad thing though, as I also pointed out on that thread, is that someone whom I have met several times chose to viciously attack me for suggesting that the poster do some research themselves. (I did when I bought my car!) And then, instead of any attempt to backtrack or apologise, increased the venom with references to supposed other "nosy" posts I have apparently made - I am mystified

If they come one here and they ask a question that has been answered countless times such as "Where is a good place to live? Preferably quiet and clean, budget 5K" Then hopefully rather than get irritated people will just ignore and the thread sinks to the bottom of the pile.

BE, why do you think developers put in this tool called sticky threads or that every board I have ever visited make use of sticky threads in this way?

Granted the content needs to be updated every so often, requiring more man power, but members can pm the person responsible at any time to highlight the change needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    BE, why do you think developers put in this tool called sticky threads or that every board I have ever visited make use of sticky threads in this way?

Granted the content needs to be updated every so often, requiring more man power, but members can pm the person responsible at any time to highlight the change needed.
    Well feel free to let Shri know, I'm sure he would welcome a less dynamic forum with greater manpower costs. Let us know how you get on with that.

But do people read stickies? Or, do they think that their question is special and somehow different from all the others...

My take, if you see a question you feel has been answered many times before, just pass it by. Someone else will answer it or it will slowly disappear unanswered. OP will either get their answer, or will find the answer some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Well feel free to let Shri know, I'm sure he would welcome a less dynamic forum with greater manpower costs. Let us know how you get on with that.
    How would that be less dynamic? Because FAQs are stickied, which makes one wonder why most sites would have FAQs section. It's part of the Internet. Forum software is developed that way for a purpose. The board is LESS dynamic without the use of them.

As for manpower, it's not going to tke much extra work, and Shri can always opt for possibility of having more moderators if he chooses, all voluntary.

I'm sure Shri reads some of what's going on on this board, ESP threads in this section, so yes, I'm already indirectly making the suggestion to Sheri

How would that be less dynamic?
    Well go look up dynamic in the dictionary and see if you think 'sticky' and 'dynamic' are synonymous.

As for your message to Shri, the type laziness you show by posting here instead of sending him a message is exactly why your 'team of volunteers' idea doesn't work!

Only a few weeks ago I wanted info. about China visas on arrival. Some of the other expat sites have faqs. on this but their faqs. are faqd! I could see the info. was wrong. If you have a website it can quickly become a monster in terms of content and managing content that is subject to change is a big problem and can even end up costing you your credibility and, even worse, money!

Your post just really show your age..... and one suspects you hardly ever frequent any other boards much on the internet. May I suggest you pop yourself onto any other forums and see how sticky threads are used, and to say they make a forum less dynamic just says you really don't have a clue.

As for your reference to laziness, why would you think this section of the forum exists? Why would it be called 'site related'? There are plenty of regular posters here that frequent this forum on a regular basis that can highlight changes, and you would know they don't pm Shri how?

May I suggest you pop yourself onto any other forums and see how sticky threads are used, and to say they make a forum less dynamic just says you really don't have a clue.
    Look, you clearly don't know the meaning of the word dynamic, penis breath.