The Teeth of the Geoexpat community

Closed Thread

The Teeth of the Geoexpat community

Over the last few months I got to know this community as being a very friendly, helpful source of information.

Recently I noticed that the response have become more bitchy and also noticed that there is now a thread rating system, where there is anonymous tagging about the thread. Some really aggressive things being said about threads.

I suddenly feel really unwelcome here. Why don't the cowards who post the anonymous thread descriptors say who they are. I am sure that will make the tone more constructive. If I am breaking any hallowed Geoexpat rules, then couldn't some constructive advice work better than the slagging.

Or is just time for me to log out? I bet I know what the anonymous hero will write in this thread descriptor.

Kiffguy

Not everyone on these forums is the same. In fact the aggressive behaviour you refer to is from an isolated few who have nothing better to do or just frustrated and need to take it out on someone.

It would be wrong to tarnish everyone and many of the long serving members of this site with the same brush.....

I openly admit to giving some users negative feedback because of the way they come across on the forum.

i.e what frustrates the hell out of me is that some users are particular ignorant in pretty much everything and its the way they come across on the forums, A certain person springs to mind and no its not you kiffguy in this instance.

Kiffguy - looked at the ratings that you've gotten - and yes, in one particular case, a member went overboard with this ability to rate users posts.

I think that particular member has forgotten how clueless he once was.

Another negative rating that you got was for the Airport parking thread. Again, perhaps a bit harsh.

Having said that, it all evens out in the end .. useful stuff does get green .... and a lot of silly stuff gets red.

Its been a year since I looked at the reputation mafia. Will look at the rating patterns and see how folks are trying to manipulate / corrupt the system.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Its been a year since I looked at the reputation mafia. Will look at the rating patterns and see how folks are trying to manipulate / corrupt the system.
    Thanks. I understand the need for comment/thread moderation, but I suspect it needs to be more public for it to work properly, otherwise people will abuse it to stroke their own small egos.

I appreciate all the replies here. It puts things back in perspective.

>> more public for it to work properly

Lets just say that most people (yourself included) usually get what they deserve. The ones with the negative ratings are also the ones who've generally not contributed much back to the forums and have not been rated back up.

It is public enough. Trust me, it works in most cases except when fragile egos are involved. And god knows one should not be stroking fragile stuff.