Nigerian Spam

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Today's spammer was Rajeev Khurana from Junosoft .. he's the idiot of the day as far as we're concerned.... one more Indian ISP added to the black list.

I get a lot of spam on the Geoexpat classifieds from Nigerians. In the early '90s, my dad used to get handwritten letters from so called "princes" claiming to need his bank account details so they could transfer money. They were great, and being a stamp collector at the time, I liked adding the Nigerian stamps to my collection.

Jay - I'm hoping its gone down in the last couple of weeks. We've been very aggressively moniting people to send multiple emails (usual thing that spammers do with roboform type software)

For what it's worth, you can forward such emails to the comercial crime bureau of the HK police. This is what I was advised to do when I once complained about a Nigerian email. Apparently, the HK police are working with other forces to try and catch these people.

They work really hard at these scams now that they know they can make money. I saw a piece on the news where a Nigerian set up a messenger account and put posts on forums to start conversations with people. Then chatted with an American lady for about 6 months before he went in for the kill and asked her send money to Nigeria becuase he was working there and was stuck for flights and had lost his credit cards. Pretty scary stuff

Of course one person has done it and made some cash they will all be trying it.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

American Twist to Nigerian Scam Spam

This is a new twist to the game, LOL

http://blogs.business2.com/telescope...ce=yahoo_quote

I get about two of these emails a year. I received one last week, plus another one informing me that I had won a promotional lottery of US$1million. I hate these scamming scumbags and would do anything to help get them arrested. On the advice of the local police station where I live on Cheung Chau, I always send these emails on to the HK Police Commercial Crime Unit, [email protected] Though they never acknowledge any of my emails and I don't know if they just delete what I send or if they actually try and trace them.

errr. not sure if the hk police has any juridiction in nigeria..
    just ignore them unless its a fellow hker trying to con you

This is the latest one I've had.

I called the HK Police Commercial Crime Unit and they said that they would like me to continue forwarding any Nigerain emails we receive. West Africa may be outside their jurisdiction but presumably, and I hope, they are in contact with similar units around the world, and if one email is traced and one arrest is made then I will be very happy.

Urgent Attnetion Needed
    FROM THE DESK OF MR MOSES DANTE
    AUDITING DEPARTMENT
    AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
    LOME TOGO.
    TEL:00228-9063205.

Dear Friend,
    I have a proposal for you - this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will.

I am 50, and work with a bank (one of the African leading banks in the West Coast). Here in this bank existed a dormant account for the past 8 years which belong to a American national who is now late Mr.Raymond and Beck Mrs. Dorene Beck who died on EgyptAir Flight 990
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/502503.stm

When I discovered that there had been no deposits nor withdrawals from this account for this long period, I decided to carry out a system investigation and discovered that non of the family member nor relations of the late person is aware of this account.

This is the story in a nutshell.

Now I want an account overseas where the bank will transfer this funds.Thereafter, I had planned to destroy all related documents for this account. It is a careful network and for the past eleven months I have worked out everything to ensure a hitch-free operation. The amount is not so much at the moment and plus all the accumulated interest the balance in this account stands at-(US$ 9.5 million US dollars).

Now our questions are:-
    1. Can you handle this project?
    2. Can I give you this trust?
    3. Can you finance this project if so,What will be your commission? .

Consider this and get back at us as soon as possible.
    Finally, it is my humble prayer that the information as contained herein be accorded the necessary attention, urgency as well as the secrecy it deserves. I Expect your urgent response if you can handle this project. Call me at this direct line 00228-9063205 after sending a mail for confirmation.

Respectfully yours,

Mr Moses Dante.[/I]

>> one arrest is made then I will be very happy

Doubt any nigerians are going get arrested, specially since this scam goes all the way to the top.