Phone companies in HK

Closed Thread

Phone companies in HK

I live in the boonies .So far I have had several run- ins with phone companies like '3' when they stopped being able to provide mobile phone coverage (antennaes which fell over or were removed from precarious spots around the island , failure to keep footing the bill for radio coverage ,) China Mobile picked up the slack and hooked onto 'local'mobile calls.This meant 'dead spots' in reception and most of all maddeningly huge mobile roaming bills that resulted from calls going via MONGOLIA apparently without you wanting them too or even knowing -or not being able to make calls without good old Ms 'Ni Hao !' coming on and telling you in Mandarin that you were out of luck re placing a call.So I changed to CSL. Bliss. No more 1200$ p. m. phone bills.
    During the last big storm ,I noticed China Mobile had snuck onto my mobile here again -not a good sign....!

Last edited by Miss P; 16-08-2008 at 07:36 PM.

We get this problem too! Anyone any idea how to solve it? (besides disabling roaming, which I need for work for legitimate travel when I actually leave the country!)

Well I am not in this situation so not sure it will work but you might want to set your phone to a specific network rather than the default "automatic". Most phones will need a manual rescan of networks if the selected one is not available.