Like Tree47Likes

GeoExpat - Downtime

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Agree with The Brit. By switching AdBlock on and off you can see that content is now about 40% to ad space 60%, used or unused, on the inside pages. It's your site so fill yer boots eh. Just makes the site a sea of white with all this chunky mobile required stuff dotted about. Which is naff IMHO. Designers should design, this one has just cut and pasted.

I am sure eyes will get used to it in a short while but now .. just makes you want to puke. But it's a business .. right? More ads more money. Yada Yada Yada.

Yup it looks horrible on safari on iPhone

Content is King, scrolling because I only get one post on the screen at a time is not!

Also, wtf is it with the evangelical-faith-'healing-but-really-we-are-lying-bullshit-artists-out-to-target-the-desperate'-cult ads? There's selling out and then there's SELLING OUT. I've never used Ad block on here, but some things are a step too far.

I clicked that bastard ad, because making them pay was its own satisfaction. But my child sees this and there are some things an impressionable mind should never be exposed to.

But on a positive note, the colours are nice.

...new smileys would have been nice too.

Last edited by kimwy66; 26-07-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Can anyone tell me where the job section is? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LLB:
    Can anyone tell me where the job section is? Thanks!
    Not currently working. Coming Soon ™
    LLB likes this.

Did you change your "report" message? "thank you that will be dealt with in due course"? Translated into British English that reads "why are you bothering me with this crap? I will now proceed to ignore it".

Just saying.

I hate change and am suspicious of new things.

Name:  cranky-shopper.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  55.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Also, wtf is it with the evangelical-faith-'healing-but-really-we-are-lying-bullshit-artists-out-to-target-the-desperate'-cult ads? There's selling out and then there's SELLING OUT. I've never used Ad block on here, but some things are a step too far.

I clicked that bastard ad, because making them pay was its own satisfaction.
    The lesser-know Addendum to the Ten Commandments includes this interesting bit:

Thou shall not cross kimwy66 without retribution
    Last edited by huja; 26-07-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Wow, this thread has turned into a geo-bashing fest. I feel sorry for Shri and the team that the feedback is almost entirely negative despite all their efforts.

That said, I have to agree with the majority. I waited until the novelty of change wore off. I still don't understand the new design. It doesn't look like any other website I regularly visit. That's not to say you should conform but there is value in looking around and seeing what works.

There was a recent link to a website about burgers and its design was very simple and well thought out. I think there's just too much going on - this was an issue before and it is an issue again.

I think the biggest help would be to condense each message so that you can see more text in the forum on one screen. Look at Reddit as an example of how many messages are viewable on one screen.

I personally think websites and forums in particular should be stripped back - KISS principle.

Tom007 likes this.

I'm sure that as time passes the site will get better. It looks quite nice on my tablet (chrome) but some of the sizing seems weird. Mobile app still works though so that's good.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast