Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Geoexpat mobile

Will look at it today. Thought people would have just given up on it.

Lesson learnt....... Never rely on someone else when you must get something done correctly. .

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Still use it on a daily basis, much better than using the mobile website.

Why did you give up on it shri? As per discussions passim, I always thought the app was a waste of time, but curious to know what finally caused you to pull the trigger? Just the hassle of maintaining multiple versions on multiples devices instead of concentrating all your firepower on a website that would work cross-platform? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Why did you give up on it shri? As per discussions passim, I always thought the app was a waste of time, but curious to know what finally caused you to pull the trigger? Just the hassle of maintaining multiple versions on multiples devices instead of concentrating all your firepower on a website that would work cross-platform? Or something else?
    The provider we were using switched to a new agreement for their new app - this relied on some data being cached on their servers, which I did not think was appropriate - as we would have very little control of what got 'leaked' or 'cached' or 'repurposed' in the cloud. Few if any webmasters who use this solution look at where the data is going and how it may be stored, so I was fighting a lone battle.

A significant number of our users use firstname/lastname and other identifiable information in their profiles / IP addresses. I cannot have that being leaked in any way.

Just did not think that the vendor addressed this appropriately and was best to call it a day.

I have a one man (or three if you take my multiple personalities into account) team working on a next gen framework - fully API driven and makes cross platform issues with our current framework (chewing gum and string) non-issues.

Going slower than I'd like - daily distractions, fires to put out etc etc etc....

One of these days we'll get there.
    TheBrit and Apjace like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri

Going slower than I'd like - daily distractions, fires to put out etc etc etc....

One of these days we'll get there.
    Name:  are-we-there-yet-simpsons.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  37.6 KB
    shri, chuckster007 and Apjace like this.

@TheBrit - and the vendor has a development team in China. Which made this even more of an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @TheBrit - and the vendor has a development team in China. Which made this even more of an issue for me.
    Should've used a good company from India - with correct price, they do wonders. Bad experience with Chinese developers - They will start off very confident and assuring but midway all their demands and cheeky tactics would arise.

A couple of my projects are (were) stuck with some Chengdu developer and I had to move to someone in India - Amazed with their speed and quality.

Even when you can do it yourself, I usually prefer to hire someone to do it for me but of course after clarifying how and where the data should be stored. I normally ask them to work on my servers (rented in HK), on AWS (works well most of the time) or Hostgator (if it's nothing complicated)

pls don't kill - just migrate us when the next solution is ready

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    pls don't kill - just migrate us when the next solution is ready
    That is what the plan is.

When we get there...
    Sith likes this.

Yeah I used to use the app till a few months ago when it didn't work anymore. So now just through mobile web browser. But I liked the app much more (even though you couldn't see the polls if there were any)
    Would be great if a new app will be made available in the near future.

jmbf likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast