Like Tree47Likes

Y so many 'locked' threads here?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Right. I get your point... some threads bore people - Clarkson bores me
    But where does that leave free speech?
    Do you really want a Forum which only tolerates "GoPC attitudes"?

Last edited by DrBubb2; 24-09-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Not sure that punishing everyone for the transgressions of a few is more fair. I've been back to the thread I mentioned but offending posts have been deleted I can't remember exactly what the offensive posts were that were strong enough to get it closed.

Nothing against language and meetup threads of course, just want threads I find interesting to be there too.

ummbongo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubb2:
    Right. I get your point... some threads bore people - Clarkson bores me
    But where does that leave free speech?
    Imagine someone opens their house and invites people in for a party. During that party, debates get out of hand. The host asks you to stop so you do - because you are in THEIR HOUSE and THEIR GUEST.

This may be an online forum, but basically it's THEIR online forum and they set the rules. Free speech is for Governments. Private citizens - houses or online forums - make their own rules. If you don't like it....you

As i have said : I have always aimed to be polite and respectful - and have rarely deviated from this, if ever.

(The same cannot be said of the GoPC's - whom I have had to report a few times.)

But if GE wants to be a pure PC forum, which avoids any discussion of Third Rail topics, maybe they should say so. Until they do, I will start (respectful) threads on Topics that interest me, and invite people to read them or not, and post on them or not.

BTW, on another forum where I post, I have noticed a sea change in attitudes towards certain topics, and I think you will (eventually) see it here to, whether I am posting or not. But if I am posting, GE may get there sooner, and with a more polite discourse.

The party is over, Katherine, we all need to work together to clean up the mess

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Imagine someone opens their house and invites people in for a party. During that party, debates get out of hand. The host asks you to stop so you do - because you are in THEIR HOUSE and THEIR GUEST.

This may be an online forum, but basically it's THEIR online forum and they set the rules. Free speech is for Governments. Private citizens - houses or online forums - make their own rules. If you don't like it....you
    But what if the host only asks only Muslims to stop , or white people or dog lovers .....

OK, we know the final decision is down to the moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

What you just wrote is obvious and no one is questioning that. Of course it is their forum and they can do what they want. Do you really think people don't know that?

The owners of the forum set the rules, but can't a user discuss how the rules are being applied?

This is how threads get closed. The op asks a legit question or expresses an opinion and then is met with a response like yours.
    Last edited by Open Casket; 24-09-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Thats fine, but from what I've observed people intentionally turn threads (they don't like) into nasty arguments rather than debating the issues. and they do that hoping and knowing the mod will close the thread down.
    Have yet to see a report from your end. Just like voting. You loose the right to complain if you don't vote.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    (and I'm deliberately excluding HC trying to needle our current resident conspiracy theorist in this thread )
    Moi? I resemble that remark!

I know I am not the one to say this as I don't even live in HK but this is a HK expat forum and therefore it is expected that the majority of threads will be about HK. If the forum becomes a discussion board solely for US politics or conspiracy theories then it will lose it's appeal to it's target audience. If it loses them then it loses it's adverisers and it closes down.

I am not saying these things can't be discussed but if none of your posts are relevant to HK I have to ask why come on here? It reminds me of RevJay (i wonder how he is doing?) who only had one topic of conversation.

P.S. Shri, did you ever set up a Philippines version?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast