Improving Mobile Site

Improving Mobile Site

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Still use it on a daily basis, much better than using the mobile website.
    Agree. Much better than the website.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown
    What is this timeline thing?

This?

https://geoexpat.com/forum/getnew.html
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown
    Agree MUCH MUCH better than accessing the website. If only it would default to open up showing the latest posts in chronological order.

What's wrong with this view?

That's where I start and it works for me better than the mobile does.

Seriously, can improve that view if something is wrong or can be improved with a couple of days work.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

I use that view too Shri, works great for me. Have bookmarked it on both dekstop and mobile.

I personally prefer to use the GeoClicks App on my iPhone but it is a bit buggy these days. Unread posts do not populate.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    What's wrong with this view?

That's where I start and it works for me better than the mobile does.

Seriously, can improve that view if something is wrong or can be improved with a couple of days work.
    A few random thoughts...
    - getnew.html get rewritten to a search.php?searchid=xxxx where I don't know the meaning of the ID. can I pin it to the homescreen? or is it a reference to the most recent post, so if I pin it I'll get always the same result (as starts from the same post id)?
    - the app timeline have larger touch targets. you see the important pieces: thread title, excerpt of the last msg, time since last post on the thread
    - the mobile website recent post list has the thread title (same as above), name and time of the last post - not excerpt. we can discuss if it's more important to give a glance view of *who* posted or *what* he/she posted.... I believe what is more important
    - the mobile website recent post list also have pagination buttons... they take up space and not really help. I want to tap on the thread name and go directly to the first unread post... I can scroll up and down the thread from there, but I won't do it from the recent posts page... as I don't know what those numbers means... if it's just to give an idea on how long the thread is... the app shows the post count. take up almost no space and fulfil the purpose
    - mainly in the app the whole "box" around a thread is a touch target. in the mobile website, you have to tap the title (to go to the first post) or the last comment line (to go to the last post). you have no way to go to the first non-read post (="resume" reading a conversation), which is all that matters imho

As a comparison, I think the flyertalk forums have a very nicely done mobile version. They use vbulletin I believe.