Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Multi Quote v/s Threaded Replies

  1. #1
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,604

    Multi Quote v/s Threaded Replies

    @shri - one thing I noticed that drags the thread down is the multi quote thing.

    HC, DH and as few others are big users of it and all it does is allow to cherry pick sentences/paragraphs and move them out of the context of a general post...and of course you can write a good /clear post but have a few "so so" sentence....and guess what...that's what will be used to kick start a petty argument.

    You would think grown up men would see that and stop right there but clearly that's not the case. Maybe to help, would it make sense to just stop that feature?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    @shri - one thing I noticed that drags the thread down is the multi quote thing.

    HC, DH and as few others are big users of it and all it does is allow to cherry pick sentences/paragraphs and move them out of the context of a general post...and of course you can write a good /clear post but have a few "so so" sentence....and guess what...that's what will be used to kick start a petty argument.

    You would think grown up men would see that and stop right there but clearly that's not the case. Maybe to help, would it make sense to just stop that feature?
    I kind of agree with you...but how would you answer a multi-point post? Would you have a new post for every point?

    In my last post, I numbered the points so anyone who answers might only need answer the number...that might be annoying if it's answered a few pages away...

  3. #3
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,604
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy
    I kind of agree with you...but how would you answer a multi-point post? Would you have a new post for every point?

    In my last post, I numbered the points so anyone who answers might only need answer the number...that might be annoying if it's answered a few pages away...
    I have never once mutliquoted on this website as far as I can recall and it's working just fine.

    It's pointless in my view.

    Politicians do that all the time and we see the result.

    HC / you have multiquoted me many times, I just answer as a whole and if I go point by point I do it as a whole too. Makes no sense to pick and chose - unless all you want is to pick a fight...which is of course what many people look for at some point.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    HC / you have multiquoted me many times, I just answer as a whole and if I go point by point I do it as a whole too. Makes no sense to pick and chose - unless all you want is to pick a fight...which is of course what many people look for at some point.
    If I want to pick a fight with you, I can do it with or without multi quote. Your argument and assertion is folly.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    23,263

    I thought I'd posted a reply but cannot find it.

    Moving forward, I'm more inclined to use multi-threaded replies.

    You reply to a reply as opposed to reply to the thread with a quote.

    Have to think about it - certainly don't want a deep tree structure to deal with.

    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

  6. #6
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,604
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    If I want to pick a fight with you, I can do it with or without multi quote. Your argument and assertion is folly.
    Yes you sure can - the multiquote encourage it for the reason highlighted above (and proven days in days out by you, DH etc).

    It allows to take one or two badly sentences out of a whole thread and start spending time on that and then it spirals down.

    A favorite of politicians.
    shri and DirtyHairy like this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Yes you sure can - the multiquote encourage it for the reason highlighted above (and proven days in days out by you, DH etc).
    The only thing that is proven is that I like to argue. The reason is just invented by you.
    It allows to take one or two badly sentences out of a whole thread and start spending time on that and then it spirals down.
    And this post, right here, the one I'm writing shows you that if I want to argue, I can still argue. Preventing me from multi-quoting will not change my motivation nor the outcome.
    A favorite of politicians.
    I'll take that as a compliment

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wrong side of the door to hell
    Posts
    4,423

    The threads spiral out of control because of people, nothing to do with the use or not of multi-quotes.

    Please do not go to multi-threaded replies, those things are the pox of all poxes on continuity and coherence. Disqus is the classic example of the a terrible tech solution to a people-problem.

    Just stop the testosterone-fueled king-of-the-castle crap from ALL sides. Selective banning as currently happens just enables some here to think they have impunity to be keyboard twats.

    HowardCoombs likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    23,263

    Well, all banning is selecting, regardless of where it happens and automated or human.

    I tend to think some people are mature and controlled - but often I am let down. I know who they are and they know who they are, even though they pretend to not know how they're being judged.

    Still think either a single level threaded or a karmic solution like Slashdot might work.

    Mat likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,810

    If all of you morons would stop circle-jerking each other in pretty much EVERY thread, the quote structure wouldn't matter at all.


Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast