Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Classified scams (dealt with)

Classified scams (dealt with)

I had a 'rather interesting' person posing as a buyer to a classified (furniture) I posted. The person has been dealt with after I reported them, I didn't fall for it, but someone might. Hence, I thought I post the email exchange after the initial pm here (there is a bit of entertainment value as well....

The 'buyer' pm-ed me asking me to email more pictures, after I did, I got this reply:

Thanks for your quick response, I've seen the pictures and I'm fine with the price What is the current state that you need to know.

Not sure about what they wanted to know, I refrained from being flippant and tell them about my state (somewhat vintage, but in good nick) and told them that the pictures were taken last weekend....
    Then I got this email:

Thanks for your reply. I am (name removed) of the United States, but stay in Dubai, I am fine with the price and condition you gave me and I will pay through PayPal.

So I will pay directly into your PayPal account without wasting time, and I hope you have one Paypal account and if you can not easily create your PayPal account on your website at (pishing link removed) and send me your PayPal email for payment, you do not have to bother about shipping. I will instruct a courier agent to come and pick you up at your door, when I have to have paid.

Great, this has 'scam written allover it, so I told them cash on pick up only. I thought this was it, but they topped it with this gem:

I insist on paypal since I do not have access to my online bank account, I do not have internet banking and I can not enter the Bank due to the nature of my work, but I can pay in my paypal account, as my bank a / c Attached to it, I need you to give me your PayPal email address so I can make the payments as soon as possible for the item and pls if you do not have PayPal account, however, it is very easy to set up and go to (pishing link removed) and get it after you have just put the e-mail address you use for paypal registration enter money through

This is when I reported them.
    For those who don't know:
    The scam is, someone pays you via Paypal, they pick up the goods and then file a claim for 'goods not received'. You have nothing to prove that they picked them up.
    Hope you enjoyed the emails
    Last edited by eIIe; 26-07-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clicked the 'post' button too soon

When I tried to sell a car many years ago, I had the similar type of response, not in HK will send someone over blah blah blah, told em to Piss off as I only deal with cash in hand and face to face. stopped replying afterwards LOL

I found the bit that they 'instruct a courier agent to come and pick you up at your door' rather intriguing
    For a moment I thought about playing along, insisting that I'm not really included in the sale.... , but then thought life is too short to waste time with scammers.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Which is why I append to my adverts:

" Selling only to LOCALs - NO PayPal, no SCAMSTERS.

Scammers NOTA BENE : No Shipments anywhere else in the world. I will ONLY deal with "Face2Face" buyers, and NO LOCAL Donkeys making ASSes of themselves. If you want even fuller tech specs - GIYF !! Google Is Your Friend !!

Anyone who just replies "I'm interested" will immediately been dumped into the "Bit Bucket".

Or you could counter his scam with another scam like this guy

This Malaysian Man Who's Selling His Mercedes Just Epically Trolled A Scammer - WORLD OF BUZZ

This really has been going on for a hell of a long time.

First clue is the buyer immediately accepting the price offered. No one ever does that!

TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy

First clue is the buyer immediately accepting the price offered. No one ever does that!
    It usually catches out 1st time sellers

Quote Originally Posted by eIIe
    The scam is, someone pays you via Paypal, they pick up the goods and then file a claim for 'goods not received'. You have nothing to prove that they picked them up.
    Doesn't sound like a well thought through scam. Old furniture that you probably can't sell anyway...

But in some other news from Nigeria....

Name:  nigerian-man-dies-and-authorities-find-27-billion-in-his-24975841[1].png
Views: 271
Size:  153.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy

Me and the Mrs must be dumb. We've never bargained, partly because whatever we've wanted is usually fairly priced, else we'd not be wasting our time on it.

My usual thing is "Yes, I'm interested, yes I can pick up today or some to inspect today, yes your price is acceptable if I can inspect before I buy and you don't entertain any offers until I see this".

Gotten a fair bit of stuff off the classifieds - Gaming computer, soccer tickets in the last few weeks.

The only time we've lost out is when we agree to "But I'd like to keep this till the end of the month when we move... " then the clowns go in and sell it or give to their friends and ditch us, despite agreeing to their intial price.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Doesn't sound like a well thought through scam. Old furniture that you probably can't sell anyway...

But some news from Nigeria....
    One of the reasons we obsessively block VPN and specific countries - shit like this. Some countries / IP ranges are a complete waste of bandwidth and energy.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast