Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Can't access when using VPN

Rather annoying not being able to access from within a large HK banks network

I would certainly use this site more if it wasn't blocked all the time.
    But I guess they want to keep it from growing to popular.
    It's similar to other HK business like HSBC that makes it very hard to be a customer, which creates an exclusivity when you manage to get it working. It could maybe be an idea to take this even further by for example require a certified copy that proves you are the beneficial owner of the IP address.

My office seems to be blocked - which is probably a good thing for my productivity... If I were less lazy, I'd send a ticket, but, meh

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701
    Rather annoying not being able to access from within a large HK banks network
    I know a couple of banks which block social media / forums. Do you see a GeoExpat error or a bank error screen.

I also know we have a few we work type networks blocked due to spam from some digital teams.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

For those unfamiliar with the concept of Virtual Private Network, a VPN is an encrypted tunnel (like a secure hose) between the user and an exit point (also acting as an entry point to received packets) beyond which the data packets travel "naked" i.e. very easy to intercept, log and analyze.

Established VPN providers tend to have several separate servers in each of the countries they operate in. If one server/IP address gets Shri's knickers in a twist, the Geo user may simply switch to using another server which might not be blocked.

A VPN user could also choose any number of locations either in Asia (generally lower latency), Europe or the USA... anywhere where the VPN service manages servers.

Many VPN providers also allow their customers to use several different devices under a single account. Your desktop, laptop, mobile, tablet and router could all have their separate tunnel exits in different locations, often for less than 10 USD per month.

HK residents should look for a VPN provider with excellent reputation (in terms of security and privacy policies and technology) and a choice of servers located in Hong Kong as well as across the globe.

To mention just one such trustworthy operator are the founders of ProtonMail, the secure email service which journalists used to communicate with Edward Snowden.

One of those journalists, Glenn Greenwald, gave a great TED Talk presentation Why Privacy Matters (20:41) which every sentient primate should watch and internalize.

ProtonMail founder Andy Yen is originally from Hong Kong I believe. He also gave a great TED Talk "Think your email's private? Think again".

Their more recent VPN service, ProtonVPN, lists several gigabit servers in Hong Kong.

One could subscribe to more than one VPN service or, with a little effort and technical nous, a more advanced user could operate an entirely homegrown personal VPN tunnel e.g. between one's home router and the travelling gear.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Can Geo just block new sign ups from these VPNs instead of blocking the site entirely. Or allow for users to log in via those blocked locations and block all others (e.g. non users)?
    Those users misusing commercial VPNs for spamming or worse tend to be hit and run operators who move onto the next server or IP range soon afterwards. Perhaps instead of permanent blocks Shri could try temporary blocking? VPN use is becoming more mainstream and permanent blocking means that eventually the only way to take a dip in the Geo pool is by going naked!

I travel often to Vietnam and sometimes to China and have fallen foul of these rules. Shri has explained his reasoning and has whitelisted my Vietnam IP a couple of times for me. On balance I would rather have forum with less spam and other crap and a slight amount of inconvenience to myself. At the end of the day it's his business and we don't pay for it.

Perhaps instead of permanent blocks Shri could try temporary blocking?
    We have tried this - but as long as even reputable VPN providers keep handing out free trial accounts to dodgy people, it becomes harder and harder to have to retroactively police the site.
    jgl likes this.

Express VPN is blocked and it doesn't do free trials.

@pin - trust me, it is one of our problematic providers.

Name:  Screenshot 2018-10-29 at 9.01.11 AM.png
Views: 30
Size:  81.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @pin - trust me, it is one of our problematic providers.

Name:  Screenshot 2018-10-29 at 9.01.11 AM.png
Views: 30
Size:  81.2 KB
    You tell me this after I've signed up for a year.?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast