Like Tree22Likes

Question on racism

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette J W
    Please do not pretend to apologise. I know that you are being sarcastic.
    He's not being sarcastic. I'm pretty sure he's genuinely apologising.

It is interesting to see that some posters set out to be offensive as though it is the norm in society. They hide behind the computer making comments which most would be too scared to say to someones face. If moderators allow bullying, then there should be consequences.

This forum is a LOT tamer, and in some ways not as fun, than it used to be during the first decade of the early noughties, when I first joined GEO. It was on for young and old, back in the day ! lol It has become a bit grey biz suit personality wise and reads more like a financial forum with the odd snippy provocative comment...To be expected considering the economic climate and where the forum is located, not as relaxed or anywhere near as vibrant as it once was, a decade and a half ago.

I think, over the course of the 13 years that I've been on here, the forum has definitely dulled down, (matured ?), becoming a bit dryer...... certainly there is still a little racial bias and the odd personality clash toward certain topics/posters. ( less figjam these days) but overall, I think, we just got older,( bored) losing the stomach to be as passionate/political about ' stuff ' that most of us just cannot do anything about. Might as well just kick an empty can down the road, feels better

Anyway Bernadette, welcome to the GEO forums and try not to get baited, or wound up, don't take the forum too seriously, it wouldn't be GEOEXPAT without the occasional dummy spit! lol

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    As an educator and an expert on learning you will know that part of learning is reflection. Was there nothing in the post that started this all that you would in hindsight reword?
    In all seriousness though hull... do you think what she wrote was 'racist drivel'?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese
    In all seriousness though hull... do you think what she wrote was 'racist drivel'?
    Not really, just generalisation. Generalisation and stereotyping can often move towards racism but I don't think it was in this case. She just needs to calm down, an apology has been given which as you know is extremely rare on here.
    SpeakCantonese and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese
    I wish you the best of luck. I have been called a racist on these boards for criticising a religion by an SJW who defends paedophilia and who thinks an advert showing a black man being washed until he turns into handsome Chinese man isn't racist... But I'm the bad guy, he's the good guy. You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.
    You're not a bad guy - just a sad troll with a bone.
    Name:  ff.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  156.4 KB

It is truly shocking that you were criticised for condemning paedophilia. The administrator should be held responsible for not deleting unacceptable content.
    He wasnt criticized for condemning paedophilia - he was banned from the site, multiple times for being a shit disturber and general trolling - just like he is doing now.
    Its what he does, he cant help himself and cant control his urges to troll along

So once in a while, on a fairly regular basis, he gets booted off this system for going off on the deep end.
    Stick around, you'll see it sooner than later.

BTW: I'm the guy he speaks of. If you ever want to talk about paedophiles, let me know but we must be careful as it triggers him and he usually goes off the deep end

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Not really, just generalisation. Generalisation and stereotyping can often move towards racism but I don't think it was in this case. She just needs to calm down, an apology has been given which as you know is extremely rare on here.
    I agree with you... but on the other, she's new to the forum. I can see why she might feel shocked. But I believe Easty is genuine in his apology and that ought to be the end of it really.

Personally, as you know, I think that 'r' word is thrown about way too much these days and many people find that quite offensive.
    Skyhook and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    You're not a bad guy - just a sad troll with a bone.
    Name:  ff.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  156.4 KB

He wasnt criticized for condemning paedophilia - he was banned from the site, multiple times for being a shit disturber and general trolling - just like he is doing now.
    Its what he does, he cant help himself and cant control his urges to troll along

So once in a while, on a fairly regular basis, he gets booted off this system for going off on the deep end.
    Stick around, you'll see it sooner than later.

BTW: I'm the guy he speaks of. If you ever want to talk about paedophiles, let me know but we must be careful as it triggers him and he usually goes off the deep end
    Pot calling the kettle black eh.

You've been banned (short term) on a few occasions yourself, as a few of us regulars have over the years..

FYI - Looking at all of the weekend drama to see what happened - we had a flurry of reports and when this happens the standard procedure is to lock down threads / delete posts which get more than usual reports from regular members whose experience we rely on - they know how this community works.

As much as people think these deletions are personal biases towards a particular line of thought - they're not. More like riot control mode - there will be collateral damage to prevent more windows from being broken.

Quite often this is an old users v/s new users thread and from what I can see - in this case our favorite user who refuses to go away, brought in his own blend of interpretations.

Hopefully have some of this sorted by end of day or tomorrow.

Fiona in HKG likes this.