Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coolboy

Feature request- Latest Topics + Ignore list

Closed Thread
    jgl

Feature request- Latest Topics + Ignore list

Is it possible to have the "Latest Forum Topics" / geoexpat.com/forum/getnew.html updated on a per-user basis only if the updates are caused by posters not on the active Ignore list?

I am using Geoexpat as my primary source of information on unfolding current events (e.g. the protests and COVID 19). Thanks to some good poster input, these threads blend together a bunch of other sources which I don't use (e.g. Twitter and local newspaper sites) and are more timely than any of the foreign press sites. However, these threads keep getting bumped, on a very frequent basis, even if the poster is on my Ignore list.

Sorry, dude. What can I do to get off your list?

A lot of this goes into a global and common cache - would be very very non-trivial to do this as it would require a significant code change.

ThIs would be a great feature to have. Permanently banning new incarnations of previously perma-banned posters would be a quick and dirty solution to this particular problem.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond
    Sorry, dude. What can I do to get off your list?
    It is mostly full of the same posters who are repeated banned and then turn up under new accounts. Takes a fair bit of effort, and usually some truly 'speshul' behavior to get on it in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    A lot of this goes into a global and common cache - would be very very non-trivial to do this as it would require a significant code change.
    Yeah, I had figured something like this, but thought it at least worth asking in case it was simple.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    It is mostly full of the same posters who are repeated banned and then turn up under new accounts. Takes a fair bit of effort, and usually some truly 'speshul' behavior to get on it in the first place

Yeah, I had figured something like this, but thought it at least worth asking in case it was simple.
    Does say a lot that only you and your pal TheBrit has this problem. Why must geoexpat cater exclusively only to your particular concerns? Why must the forum bend over backwards just for you?
    tf19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Does say a lot that only you and your pal TheBrit has this problem. Why must geoexpat cater exclusively only to your particular concerns? Why must the forum bend over backwards just for you?
    Because some people are way more helpful to the community than others and have actually helped shape its culture well over a decade?

Just saying... there is quality and then there is quantity.

Shutting this down... will take it to email / PM with the OP.