Like Tree7Likes

Accessing Geo with VPN

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Accessing Geo with VPN

Since the National Security Law allows for warrantless interception of communication will you consider removing known VPNs from the block list? For example most Nord servers are blocked on Geo. That way we can still access the site while routing all traffic through Taiwan or wherever.

Paxbritannia and richs like this.

It is problematic unblocking "all VPNs" - without exception, as we've seen significant enough rise in classifieds scams when we drop the VPN blocks.

Happy to unblock a few selected exit points if you give me the IP range ( send it to [email protected] ). No guarantees - it will depend on how much scam we've had from that exit point.

You can find your blocked IP address using whatismyip.com or it will be displayed on the error page that informs you of the block.

Last edited by shri; 01-07-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    mrgoodkat and MandM! like this.

Sometimes I get through with ******* switched on as it comes up with a verify you are not a robot type thing - the one with clicking boxes containing traffic lights etc. Seems a bit random though.

We've got some VPNs / IP Ranges / Server Hosts which are used by crawlers that archive content for whatever reason on a verification 'captcha'.

We've got some VPNs / IP Ranges / Server Hosts which are used by humans to scam (i.e. pretend they're in HK) on hard blocks.

And we've got dodgy extensions and VPNs on the block lists in posts ... i.e. ******* (manually typed this - no clue what the poster wanted to post)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

And we've got dodgy extensions and VPNs on the block lists in posts ... i.e. ******* (manually typed this - no clue what the poster wanted to post)
    I wrote the name of my VPN and that's how it came up. (VPN Nord)

Seven Hong Kong VPN providers accused of exposing private user data.

https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/report-free-vpns-leak/

AsianXpat0 likes this.

I hope the situation can be improved.
    There are lots of sites impacted by the new law and VPN issues. They must all be trying to address the same issue. Outsource the problem to Cloudflare?

There are currently no sites that can't be accessed without a VPN due to this law. I disagree with the law but let's keep discussion factual.

One of the results of looking at our firewall rules - most of the VPN providers that are being reported as blocked use dedicated / rented cloud servers which are located at data centers that are used by many free / low end providers that give free trial accounts.

Like I said earlier - happy to review any blocks and open up any legit VPNs that are blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    There are currently no sites that can't be accessed without a VPN due to this law.
    I'm too old for TikTok, but with it in the news lately I thought i'd see what the fuss is about. Recently removed from the HK AppStore, I managed to download via my U.K. account - only to discover that TikTok have actually blocked access from HK. Presumably they got a memo from ByteDance seizing on the opportunity to block us from anti-China conten; yet conveniently making it look like they're 'protecting' us instead by jumping on the FB/Twitter announcements after NSL. But I digress....

We might start seeing more services self-blocking, even in absence of a GFW.

VPN is also handy simply to "be" overseas, NSL notwithstanding, for online purchases requiring local IP's or BBC iPlayer for example.

... or when I wish to check GeoExpat during my China trips!

Having said that, in absence of travel recently, I just cancelled my ExpressVPN, but I do believe they're a legit provider.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast