We should stop playing "Reputation" game

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

We should stop playing "Reputation" game

Putting signals about a poster's reputation is a silly game to play.

Simply because one or another poster does not "like" a post should not deserve mention.

A person should neither post or refrain from posting because of the "reputation" it will garner.

What do you think the effect of this will be? Posters will start refraining from making comments that detract from their "reputation" which is an artificial game invented on an internet forum.

So we lose the benefit of free speech.

Another problem with the reputation game is that most internet forums are dominated by the admins and a small clique. The reputation game serves to reinforce the opinions of a small group.

Through a process known in the social sciences as "groupthink," the already narrow opinions of such cliques become even narrower, if they are only formed within the boundaries of the group.

Admins of internet forums can also fall victim to the delusion that because they manage a small business with public input, they also have the ability and right to make moral judgements. This delusion is reinforced by this silly "reputation" game.

Last edited by exit strategy; 10-07-2009 at 02:32 PM.

I personally would go for keeping the reputation system but with the name of the rater made public.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I personally would go for keeping the reputation system but with the name of the rater made public.
    Agreed, It shouldn't be anonymous.

Agree. Stand up and be counted you anonymous red trolls and let us congratulate our enlightened "greens".

I agree with every word you say. This Reputation thing is very very silly, and I haven't seen it in any other forum.

And I fully agree with the problem of the narrow opinions/debates here, which is due to a small clique taking over the forum and calling "troll" everybody they don't agree with, or who come up with a topic that is a little bit original. I believe this drives away most of those who have something interesting/fun/original to say.

In any case, all forums are silly, and this one is no exception.

>> with the name of the rater made public.

>> Agreed, It shouldn't be anonymous.

Glass houses my friend, glass houses.

This seems superfluous as a thread as you already posted a similar thread on this topic.

I will repeat myself. If they eliminate this, then the amount of posts that simply say "right on", "you are right" or the opposite will rise in numbers thus cluttering up the boards. Makes no sense to do this.

As far as anonymous, I personally could care less either way. I am not about to lose sleep over someone on an internet site not liking my posts.

What I do like about this site is that it is not a "gang bang" site where the usual suspects join together to give a poster a bad, unwarranted rap which I have seen on some sports sites. This is different and more professional overall with even the village idiots getting cut a lot of slack.

>> This delusion is reinforced by this silly "reputation" game.

I stand by all my delusions.

agree with OP and Safran, this should be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> with the name of the rater made public.

>> Agreed, It shouldn't be anonymous.

Glass houses my friend, glass houses.
    Is my Ban ever going to be lifted then?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast