How does the repytation blob system work?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How does the repytation blob system work?

Hi KIA, Shri and other geoexpat leaders,

I am very curious about how the rep. blob system works on geoexpat. How come beyond a point, all of us with reputation beyond repute end up with 11 blobs exactly?

Some kind of an insight into this will be good

Hmm.. got it roughly, enough to calm my curiosity down

Thanks PDLM and also to the one who gave me a greenie

Black magic combined with organized mobs.

I did'nt realize there was a reputation system, my old account was blocked/banned probably due to too many negative feed backs?

and I have 401 rep on this account, what is the default rep on a newly created account?

This is a forum, a place of open discussion, I don't recall ever offending anyone with racial comments or plainly using any offensive terms or remarks in anyway, I try to be helpful and all my post if I remember correctly has either been of a helpful nature or question.

I might have made some comments that others might not agree with but opinions are like "bung holes" and everyone has got one, if I made any remarks that upset anyone, I apologize, but people out for blood just to drop someone reputation leading to account being banned just need to take a chill pill.

Really glad to have found the (now closed) thread above this one which explains about red dots and how you found out if you got any. I've been wondering for ages but been too afraid to ask... I thought some helpful people might give me red dots just so I could find out what it was all about.

I was greatly amused to find out about the red dots and comments I had. One berated me for promoting the pet trade... and the other berated me for being too judgemental in overpromoting pet adoption and putting potential adopters off. Bizarre.

Well, with the risk of annoying people, for the record I belong to an NGO (STOP) that does anything but promote the pet trade. We constantly promote "Adopt don't shop". (Why this would put anyone off adopting I don't know but I suspect it's someone who feels guilty about buying or wanting to buy a pet - which I can't condone when 20,000 unwanted cats and dogs are killed in HK each year).

STOP would love to see the pet trade banned but we are rational and know that an outright ban is years off. We are pressing for greater controls on the pet trade as a shorter term aim.

I'll probably get some red dots for this post not being helpful as it isn't, it's just something I felt like getting off my chest now that I understand the system.

Last edited by AIP; 25-11-2009 at 08:16 PM.

AIP - in my experience, any really good post will get a number of blobs - about 1/3 of them red and 2/3 of them green! Most of my blob are for just a few (relatively) posts which appeared to both piss off and please different people. I find that to be quite amusing!

And, in addition to Movings comments, anything based on pets will get red blobs by those who put passion before thought, or those that are too objective to understand pets and the emotions surrounding pet care. That sort of explains the blobs AIP has gotten.. any post that provokes thought or needs some sort of intellect to understand will get red blobs

By the way, I think I've figured out why you can be anonymous... I gave a (signed) red blob to someone who was giving pretty unhelpful (wrong) information about visa's (in direct contradiction to our local experts ).... I have just had a TWO PAGE pm from him ranting on about the blob....! Geez. It's enough to make anyone want to be anonymous.... but does certainly highlight that some people really care about them!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    By the way, I think I've figured out why you can be anonymous... I gave a (signed) red blob to someone who was giving pretty unhelpful (wrong) information about visa's (in direct contradiction to our local experts ).... I have just had a TWO PAGE pm from him ranting on about the blob....! Geez. It's enough to make anyone want to be anonymous.... but does certainly highlight that some people really care about them!
    Another one to watch out for is that if you give one of the youth club a signed red blob then they get all their mates to blob you in return. Many of them are not old enough to vote though so they don't count.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast