View Poll Results: What do you think about a news / opinions section?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea

26 96.30%
  • Not a good idea

1 3.70%

News on GeoExpat.Com

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Have we shown any signs of that?

Far from it and thats why I stick around here now, I was kicked off the other place 3 times because I dared to partake in friendly banter with other users!

I've been banned here only three times I think? Over at the Other Place there are people who making baiting the Editor(s) a major pastime.

So would you for example, allow someone to make reasoned, polite, but negative comments about, for example, Goodhealth? If, for the sake of argument - in fact I have never had any dealings with them - I were to say, in a relevant context that I had submitted various claims to them and they always delayed payment for many months and often quibbled about the amounts, would that be allowed to stand?

Last edited by PDLM; 12-01-2006 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Only three times I think? Over at the Other Place there are people who making baiting the Editor(s) a major pastime.
    I'd only been on there 3 months! And I'm running out of E-mail addresses to use to register!

Anyway back to the point, The negative comments towards a particular company probably can't be substantiated and also who is to say that you don't work for a competitor and trying to steal business off them by giving them negative feedback and trying to enhance the reputation of other companies in the meantime.
    Last edited by jimbo; 12-01-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Our standing agreement with advertisers states

1) We will point out any negative comments to them.
    2) They can contact the person through PM to resolve
    3) They can respond via us or themselves

Most people in the PR business know that a public acknowledgement of a screw-up and actions taken to fix them are far more powerful than staying in denial...

Hey, even Lindsay Lohan has fessed up and fixed up.

>> three times

Two more than anyone else ...

They can be substantiated just as much as positive comments. Who's to say that you aren't an employee of the company just getting some free advertising?

The essence of online discussion forums is no different from real life - the better you know a person the more weight you are likely to value their opinion. Noone should take any great notice of a post from someone who has no track record in a forum without other validation. It doesn't take too many postings across a few topics to be able to form an opinion of someone and how much trust you have in their postings.

you don't work for a competitor and trying to steal business off them by giving them negative feedback
    We have lots of ways of spotting that ... I think I've said this when the icered folks took over one of our forums.. senior members get a lot more leeway than those who have signed up to bitch and leave.

(Hmm... I should enable the reputation management functions)

KIA,

If you can hold by those rules, and edit only obscenity and ad hominem attacks (but religious profanity should be allowed to stand), and leave a placeholder to show that you have edited something and why, then it's probably worth a try. But nevertheless I hope you have a sizeable, well-trained, consistent 24x7 team of editors in place. Experience at the Other Place shows that it's the lack of consistency (between different topics and between different users - some of whom seem to be "protected") that's as infuriating as anything.

At least you keep letting me come back, so I take that as positive feedback of sorts

My profile is just like saltwater's except that I am too lazy even to read the Standard everyday. You would probably get more page views from me if there was real time news on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Hey, even Lindsay Lohan has fessed up and fixed up.
    Actually, I read today that she denies the part of the Vanity Fair interview where she talked about being bulimic
    Last edited by tsuiwah; 12-01-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Thinking about this I'd really appreciate some local news topics on here. I'm sorry to admit that my homepage is still set to Sydney Morning Herald (free!!) so I probably know a good more about whats going on in Australia than a lot of Aussies.

So its a shame I know close to nothing about whats going on around me in here in HK. When are you thinking of firing this up KIA?